XXXVIII

A gust of heavy wind swept through the air as the company of ships docked itself at the harbor. Many citizens of the Reim Empire could be seen standing in the distance, welcoming back their Great Priestess. Hundreds of imperial guards, all clad in golden armor, awaited them at the harbor. Dropping the anchor, the ship unloaded and out stepped Scheherazade who was followed closely behind by Muu.

The citizens cheered and the imperial guards all knelt down on one knee.

"Glory upon the Reim Empire," they said in unison. "We welcome you back on your return, Great Priestess, Muu-sama."

Scheherazade gave a nod of her head as she unboarded the ship. But, their attention soon turned to the black-cloaked figure who stood a distance away from Scheherazade. The wind blew and they widened their eyes for though they could not see the rukh, they could sense the overwhelming magic power from her. Thousands of rukh flew around her as she simply stood there and they all gawked for her they could tell she was just as powerful as Scheherazade, if not greater.

Sebas glared at them and they quickly looked back down. A shiver ran down their spines and their blood quickly grew cold. They had never felt such an intimidating, murderous aura from someone. If they were confronted directly with it, it was enough to make them collapse on the spot.

The cloaked figure turned towards him and he bowed, giving a nod of his head. Almost immediately, the murderous aura they felt immediately lightened up. It was still there but it wasn't as dense and pressurizing as before.

Lucy glanced at them and they flinched upon feeling her gaze.

"They're a fraction of the imperial guards whose duty is to protect the Great Priestess," Muu explained. "Most of the other imperial guards are stationed at the Imperial Palace where the Imperial family resides."

"Scheherazade-sama doesn't reside in the Palace?"

"Scheherazade-sama resides in her own Palace which is a bit far away from the Imperial Palace," Muu smiled. "It's what Scheherazade-sama wished for since she's decided to allow the Imperial family to take the reins for most menial issues. However, the ultimatum is still decided by Scheherazade-sama."

So the Imperial family is just for show, Lucy noted. Since, she glanced at Muu, it seems like the Alexius family holds more influence than the Imperial family.

Unlike the Kou Empire's Imperial Ren family, the Imperial family of the Reim Empire could be said to only be a figurehead. They may possess power but the one who was in real control of the nation's assets was the Great Priestess, the one who lived since the founding of the Empire. In addition, she chose to have Muu and the descendants of Pernadius Alexius — a general and the only one she acknowledged as King — serve her. If that didn't show Scheherazade's refusal to be involved with the Imperial family, then she didn't know what did.

But then again, the same could be said of the Heartfilia family, she gazed at the ground. If it weren't for our loyalty to the Ren family, there would definitely be chaos. And, her eyes turned cold and dark, I highly doubt the Imperial family would've let the previous generations of the Heartfilia family live.

"Lucy-sama."

Lucy looked up and seeing the countless imperial guards trembling with pale faces as tears spilled from their eyes, she quickly snapped out of her thoughts, the dark aura seeping back into her as the agitated rukh calmed down.

"I apologize," she gave a troubled smile.

"There's no need to," Scheherazade waved her hand. "It's understandable. Moreover, I do not regret my decision."