CLXXXIX

"Then that concludes today's conference," Scheherazade nodded her head as the aides of each ruler began to pack up all the necessary documents and information as they followed their ruler. "Let us continue discussing tomorrow."

They all stood up and gave a curt bow, leaving the room as their aides followed behind them. Discussing amongst themselves the outcome of the meeting, they felt rather satisfied with the overall results and looked forward to the final decisions that would come out of the conference for it would be the deciding factor regarding how they would proceed for the following year. But, for now, they looked forward to partaking in lunch for after the long, draining meeting, it was exactly what they needed.

"Sinbad, Ren Kouen, as the Great Priestess of the Reim Empire, I thank you for having been able to attend this conference and for acting amiably throughout its duration," Scheherazade stood up, the two turning to face her.

"Not in the least," Kouen responded.

Scheherazade gave a smile but it was a cold and indifferent one.

"When it concerns the decisions we must make for the future, I'm more than willing to set aside our differences," Sinbad chuckled, shrugging his shoulders. "But," he narrowed his eyes, "only during the duration of this conference."

Kouen glared at him and closed his eyes. "Likewise, our intention is the same."

The two glared at each other, sparks flying across the room as bloodlust filled the room. Ja'far and Koumei, too, also glared at each other, each side holding animosity for the other due to personal reasons. But, the underlying cause was none other than Lucy. Sinbad, Ja'far, and the rest still couldn't forgive what they made Lucy go through, and had they seen what they had done to her themselves, they would have nothing to say for themselves.

Yet, it's laughable that he can still stand here and pretend as if nothing happened, Sinbad glared at Koumei who had seen firsthand just how sickly and frail Lucy had become while imprisoned in the Cold Palace.

The two sides couldn't hate each other more.

"Nevertheless," Scheherazade struck her staff down onto the ground, breaking the tension in the air and dispersing the rukh that had gathered in response to the two King's vessels, "you have my gratitude for maintaining neutrality in my Reim Empire."

"It is only natural that we heed the Great Priestess's wish," Kouen closed his eyes.

"Since Scheherazade-sama personally asked for the favor, there's no way we would deny your request," Sinbad chuckled.

"There's no need for flattery," she chuckled. "I'm sure we all know the real reason why you haven't."

Ja'far nodded his head in eager agreement. "It's as clear as day."

Muu laughed. "Lucy-sama sure does have Sinbad-dono twisted around her finger."

"Nevermind my nagging, if Sinbad-sama had indeed chosen to ignore Scheherazade-sama's words, he would've been subjected to Lucy-sama's indifference and been completely ignored," Ja'far gave a soft, amused chuckle. "He's unafraid to do and face anything but, when it comes to Lucy-sama, she's the one thing he won't risk."

Kouen narrowed his eyes and balled his hands into fists, gritting his teeth as he held back his emotions as Lucy was brought up. He could imagine exactly how she would be like if Sinbad had chosen to ignore her words for he had been subjected to such an experience once and it was something he had wished to never repeat. Yet, here he was once again, in the same position as last time. But this time, rather than disdain, she held nothing but indifference towards him.