CLII

"It truly is laughable."

Sinbad let go of the letter, letting it fall to the table with a soft thud. All eyes were on the invitation, their eyes dark with murder. The Autumn Festival Banquet was a yearly event that was held in the Kou Empire, inviting all of the nations that it held a close relationship with, and needless to say, the Kingdom of Sindria was one such nation. Especially now that a marriage alliance had been made between the Kou Empire and the Kingdom of Sindria.

"To think that it's already been a year," Sinbad narrowed his eyes. "No, to think that it has only been a year and they have the audacity to extend such an invitation."

"And the recipient is to the 'Royal Family' of all things," Ja'far gritted his teeth. "They truly are a bunch of sly wolves."

"Well said," Wu Kong grinned sinisterly, his arms crossed.

"They want it to be water under the bridge?" Tomoyo scoffed. "Dream on! There's no way we'll ever forget the suffering and misery they put Lucy-sama through! Not one day or even one second will we ever forget the humiliation that they subjected Lucy-sama to!"

Sinbad's eyes darkened for the image of Lucy sitting in the cold, snowy winter in the Cold Palace with nothing but the bare minimum, her face gaunt and pale, still remained vivid in his mind. He furrowed his brows and closed his eyes, balling his hands into fists. It was an image that still haunted him to this day and those eyes of utter despair and content as if to say that this was what she deserved was something he never wanted to see again. He never wanted to see her on the verge of death again. He never, ever wanted to lose her again.

"Let's just burn it," Wu Kong said, holding a ball of flame in his hand.

"Yeah! Let's just burn it!" Tomoyo and Kuugen exclaimed in unison, rampaging around, spewing fire from their mouths like G****lla.

"If only it can be burned," Ja'far gave a wry smile.

"Lucy is the Head of the Heartfilia Household and the President of the Heartfilia Conglomerate. Who dares to stop her from burning it?" Kuugen turned to him.

Sinbad shook his head. "No. She's not even able to use that."

"They really are sly, just as Ja'far had said," Tomoyo crossed her arms, her expression dark and her maroon pink eyes glinting with a murderous gaze. "Had they sent an invitation to the Head of the Heartfilia Household, then we could've simply burned the invitation. But," she clicked her tongue, "they specifically sent an invitation to the Royal Family of the Kingdom of Sindria."

"In terms of power, the two nations are practically equal to one another," Wu Kong narrowed his eyes as he realized just how scheming the Imperial Ren Family was. "Not to mention, you guys are in an alliance."

"A marriage alliance no less," Ja'far said, a dark shadow cast over his eyes as he gritted his teeth.

Lucy's expression darkened as she stared at the letter upon hearing Ja'far mention the marriage alliance. She knew that the Kou Empire would propose such an alliance and that there was no way Sindria would be able to refuse it for what better way to form an alliance than through marriage? But, her public stance on the matter aside, she personally didn't wish for it. After what she had gone through in the Imperial Palace, she didn't want to ever step in that sort of place again. She was fine with a Royal Concubine entering the Royal Harem and was even willing to share Sinbad with them for she knew that the person entering was Kougyoku, the only Imperial Princess who could be offered up. Kougyoku was like a younger sister to her and someone she held dear. But most of all, she understood just how terrible the Imperial Palace was after having grown up in there first-hand and having experienced that, she swore to never become like them. Had it been anyone else, she would've immediately had them disposed of. Though, even if she was fine with Kougyoku entering the Palace and sharing Sinbad with her, she wasn't willing to share his heart.