CXCIV

As night descended, the banquet was brought to a close and the guests of the Kou Empire were escorted to their quarters before they departed the following day. The Palace lamps were illuminated, scattering the darkness that engulfed the Royal Palace. But even then, it wasn't enough to hide the sullen atmosphere which surrounded it. The candle lights flickered in the Dahlia Hall as Kougyoku sat there, waiting nervously as the time drew nearer.

"Announcing the arrival of His Majesty the King!" Ja'far announced from the entrance.

Kougyoku perked up as she saw the flickering of lights outside in the courtyard. Sinbad stood outside the entrance of the hall as he looked at the place in indifference. His eyes were cold and his face was dark. No matter how well he was at keeping up a mask, he couldn't hide his obvious disdain for the Kou Empire and most of all, the disgust and revolt towards what he would have to do in a few minutes' time.

"Consummation," he murmured underneath his breath and gritted his teeth. "He truly will stop at anything to drive us apart," Sinbad gave a cold smirk.

Ja'far's emerald green eyes were dark as he, too, wore a sinister aura. His expression was cold and emotionless like that of his assassin days and thinking about Lucy who was alone for the first time in the Soleil Palace, he and the other guards and servants fumed with rage at the audacity of the Kou Empire. Lucy was pregnant, too, and knowing full well of that fact, they still decided to push for today as the wedding day. There was a limit on how rude and shameless one could be and the Royal Concubine was one such person. On the surface, she respected Lucy, and yet, she still dared to wish for Sinbad's affection. If she had any respect for Lucy as an older sister, she would've asked for them to not consummate the marriage and instead, fake it, or simply avoid the marriage altogether.

"What a white lotus," Ja'far muttered.

Sinbad chuckled. "It's been a while since I last heard you curse like that. It seems like everyone's impression of her is already at its lowest."

"But a given," Ja'far answered on behalf of the others who nodded in agreement, his eyes glinting with murderous rage. "Lucy-sama is the Queen of Sindria but even before that, the Head of the Heartfilia Household and President of the Heartfilia Conglomerate. In terms of power and respect, she is second to none. Yet, they continuously trample on her and treat her as if she's their property, it's beyond impudent!"

"You're right," Sinbad said, staring at the Dahlia Hall with a cold smirk upon his lips. "Whether to call her too kind or simply too forgiving, the little princess may simply be turning a blind eye to it all. But," Sinbad's voice turned a deep turn as he stopped smiling altogether, "the blame still lies within the Kou Empire who persistently chases after their lost Imperial Noble Consort when they were the one to abandon her first."

"Her Majesty even cut off all ties with them, too," Ja'far noted. "It's a fact that is known by all countries and nations alike."

"And yet, they chose to ignore it," he laughed. "Are they brave or just plain stupid? Our little princess may be turning a blind eye to it all right now because of her pregnancy but, when she returns to her position, they'll be incurring the wrath of a person they should've never incurred."

Ja'far smiled, already looking forward to the day where their Queen would stand before her throne and look down on those who dared try to take advantage of her once more.

Sighing, Sinbad brushed his hair back, his face darkening considerably. "Let's get this over with."

They stepped back.

"As distasteful as her presence is, we still need to treat her well. Even if it's the bare minimum."

Sinbad stared at the Dahlia Palace and Kougyoku who was fidgeting inside, wondering why he had still yet to come in.