LII

"I've decided," Lucy stood up as she faced the Directors of the Heartfilia Conglomerate who stood on both sides. "I will be going to Sindria."

After her announcement, the room was a ruckus as many tried to stop her. Many of the Directors were ones she had especially to fulfill the position after choosing them and training them by hand. To say they were attached to her was an understatement for the feelings of loyalty that were imbued within their chest for her was more than just insignificant loyalty.

"Please reconsider, Lucy-sama!" one of them shouted. "The plague has not only spread outside to the Kou Empire but overseas as well. If you were to contract it, then-!"

"Exactly! Please rethink!"

"If we were to lose you, then what would happen to the Heartfilia Conglomerate?!"

Kouyuu stood on the side with the same concerned expression, understanding where they were coming from. No matter how talented he and Yuushun were, it couldn't compare to Lucy whose relations and expertise were what made the Heartfilia Conglomerate flourish. Lucy was the Head of the Heartfilia Household and the only Heartfilia. If she were to contract the plague when the likelihood of death was that high, it would only spell disaster. She was the last defense line for the economy and if she were to fall, then the economy would pretty much be ruined. They couldn't afford to risk losing her both for business reasons and personal reasons.

They were all genuinely upset by the decision she made and all wished to stop her for that was how much she meant to them. She was the one who recognized their talents and made them achieve what they could only dream of achieving.

"What they said is right," Kouyuu spoke up as they turned to him in hopes of him convincing her to not go, "it's a risk. A risk that none of us are willing to take no matter how daring we might be as merchants."

Lucy looked at him, his grey eyes unwavering and adamant.

"I agree with Kouyuu," Yuushun stepped forward. "This is a rash decision, Lucy-sama."

Lucy remained silent, her eyes fixed upon him.

"As of right now, the Heartfilia Conglomerate's efforts in containing the plague remains in the capital. Many people from different provinces and counties have flocked here not just because there's better treatment here but also because they find security in us. If you were to suddenly leave, what do you think would happen to these people?" Yuushun asked.

"I'm aware," Lucy answered.

"Then all the more to rethink your decision, Lucy-sama," Kouyuu stated. "You are an Imperial Princess of the Kou Empire and also the Head of the Heartfilia Household. Right now, what the people wish for is peace of mind and security. And only you can provide that."

Kaede glanced at Lucy from the corner of his eyes as he stood next to him. Now then, Lucy, what do you plan to do now that all these people stand against you?

"You may be right," she said and straightened herself. "But there's one thing you're wrong about, Yuushun, Kouyuu."

They widened their eyes and furrowed their brows.

"My duty may be to provide security and peace of mind to the people but above that, there's one that presides over anything else," she lifted her head, the rukh flocking around her in hordes as her eyes shone brilliantly. "I am Lucy Heartfilia, daughter of Jude and Layla Heartfilia. It does not matter whether I'm an Imperial Princess or the Head of the Heartfilia Household for before any of that, I am a Heartfilia and as a Heartfilia, my duty is to place the people first and foremost. For them, I'm willing to expend this body of mine for theirs."