LXXXIX

Spring had arrived once more and with it, the palace selection. Many court officials had sent their daughters and girls from all over the Empire made their way to the capital in hopes of being selected by the Emperor. But, they all failed to realize that this wasn't a normal palace selection and they would come to realize that only after entering the gates of the Imperial Palace. As for the court officials and ministers who had sent their daughters, their only hope was for them to be at least chosen for their gentle demeanor for they all knew that compared to Lucy, none of them stood a chance. Moreover, among them, there was not a person who wished for their daughters or nieces to sit upon the throne of the Empress. After all, the Phoenix had descended for one person and one person only: Lucy Heartfilia. In their eyes, no one other than her was fit to sit upon the Phoenix throne.

In fact, they could make do without the palace selection but they knew that in order to keep the Empire united, the expansion of the Imperial Harem was needed. This was why before they sent their daughters and nieces, they made sure to warn them in the sternest and coldest manner to not even dare think about harming Lucy for they all knew how fickle women were when it came to love.

"You absolutely must not anger Her Majesty the Imperial Noble Consort, Lucy-sama," they glared at them. "Or else this family will never recognize you as part of it. This family never housed a disgraceful and uncultured brat like you!"

Needless to say, they immediately became docile for to them, rather than love, their dignity and pride for their household were much greater. Moreover, some didn't wish to participate and could only wish for themselves to not be picked. After all, they were talking about the tyrannic and violent Flame Emperor who was known for his mercilessness and ruthlessness. He would willingly kill anyone who upset him, especially those who had upset his one and only consort.

The Inner Palace gates opened for the first time since the ascension of the Third Emperor of the Kou Empire and the peach blossoms softly cascaded down, welcoming the numerous ladies from across the Empire. Many marveled at the sight of the Imperial Palace and could only imagine just how much more beautiful it would seem up close. But, they knew that it could only retain its beautiful exterior because there was only one mistress currently in the Imperial Palace. The ladies, all dressed in the same white and red garments with their faces veiled, deboarded their carriage and lined up.

"Welcome to the Imperial Palace," an elderly yet elegant woman, who was a first-class attendant Kouka had placed in charge of guiding the women to the selection hall, called out. "You may call me Lady Iris. I am the attendant who will be in charge during your stay here. Though, I doubt any of you will stay for more than a day."

The girls exchanged glances and whispers, wondering if they had heard wrong.

"Based on the previous Emperor's reign, the selection process took at least three days," one of the girls arrogantly spoke up. "What makes you say that we won't be staying for more than a day? The one who decides that is His Majesty the Emperor. Not a servant like you!"

Lady Iris eyed the young girl. "Your name and family."

The girl smirked. "Second daughter of the Pei family. My father is Imperial Court Official Pei."

She continued to wear a blank face. "Lady Pei," she said.

"Yes? Do you plan on apologizing to us?"

"I'd advise you to keep a mindful watch of your words and see yourself out the gates of the Imperial Palace. We have not yet stepped foot inside the Inner Palace and as of right now, I hold a higher authority than all of you, regardless of your family background and lineage."