Regret

Accidentally posted this without editing the language. Might as well post it too then. 😂

--

"Let me help, Aunt Ally."  Brett took over his aunt's luggage as soon as she arrived.

Aunt Ally smiles and went into the house.  "You're quite a young man now, boy."

"Well, Childhood never stays, right?" Brett smiles slightly.  "What did you bring anyway?"

"Oh, I thought I want to cook for you, because I want to stay here a few days."  said Aunt Ally.

"Oh, why?"

"Ah, it's nothing. I just bored at home. Besides, we haven't seen each other for a long time, last time was when your Uncle left, right?"  asked Aunt Ally.

Brett silents for a moment as he put her things on the table.  Aunt Ally's husband is who has been raising Brett while his Dad was away.  "How about your son?"

"He's been working elsewhere, dear," said Aunt Ally.  She glances around the house for a moment.  "Uh, isn't your dad home?"

"Oh, Dad..." Brett lowered his head.  "I don't want to talk about it, Aunt Ally."

Aunt Ally frowned.  "Why?"

Brett sighed.  He invited his aunt to the sofa.  "Come on, let's sit down here."

The two of them sat there, making the atmosphere tense.  Brett told everything that happened to Aunt Ally.  How he slowly learned about his Dad's secrets, about Ellie, Eddy, Alice. All of them.

"A lot has happened, huh," said Aunt Ally in disbelief.  "But you shouldn't be reckless to report him to the police station, Brett. I mean, he's still your dad, you know."

Brett nods.  "I know. But, I can't forgive his mistakes, Aunt Ally. My life has been ruined because of him."

"Your Dad still cares about you, Brett. Why don't you give him a chance?"  scolded Aunt Ally.  "You want to know why he left you with Uncle back then?"

Brett turned to Aunt Ally.  "You know about it?"

"He was afraid to leave you. He realized he was wrong when he saw your mother died in front of his eyes, but if he were here, he would be wanted by the police. He didn't want you to see him arrested by the police when you still mourning."  said Aunt Ally.

Brett was silent for a moment.  So that's the reason. 

"Then why don't he just take me to move there?" Brett ask again, still didn't think all of this make sense.

"Because he doesn't want you to see and know about his case. Your father hoped that he can solve everything by himself, without disturbing your growth. You both were not close, after all. If you know he did it, he was afraid that he can''t be a good father for you."

"So you already knew from the beginning that Dad did it?"  Brett was shocked.

"Your uncle knows too," said Aunt Ally.  "But we're keeping it a secret, for your sake."

Brett shut his mouth.  He didn't know how to respond. Everyone knew, yet he didn't have a single clue about until Dad's gone to jail. How pathetic can he be?

This.  This long explanation was what he needed from the start.  If only Dad listened to him and made him understand.

But... now what?

---

Alice took a deep breath at her door.  She's neatly dressed in a white shirt and knee-length black jeans there.  Her hand is already holding the sleeve of her sling bag firmly.  However, she's still reluctant to come out the house and go see someone.