Trying to Confess

Alice put her clarinet case on top of the dresser backstage. She looked in the mirror for a moment, comb her hair and tie them in a ponytail.  She smiles to her reflection, then begin to take out her instrument for tuning.  In half an hour, the Edward Elgar Concert, Feature Enigma Variations, is about to begin.

"Ahem, it looks like someone came here together," Caca suddenly appeared beside her.

Alice turned her head, then smiles sheepishly.  "What the heck, Caca. It's nothing much."

Caca laughs.  "You went alone in the previous concert, right? What is it now? You guys are really dating?"

Alice stare at Caca while tapping her head.  "I told you, we're just good friends!"

"Yeah, yeah. Life partner always starts from good friends," Caca hold back her laughter.  "Looks like your relationship is going very smooth."

"I'm just helping him sort things out with his Dad."  Alice answered while turning the mouthpiece slowly.

"Oh, is it done?"  asked Caca curiously.  "How did it end?"

"He went to jail. And he told me that he canceled the wedding too." Alice said, smiling with relief.

"You must be happy to hear that,"  Caca smiles.

"H-Huh?"  Alice averted her face.  Then she hurriedly walked away.  "Uh, I-I have to tune outside, Caca! We'll talk again, OK?"

Caca shook her head in surprise.  "You can lie with your mouth, Alice, but your face always digs things up."

---

Brett and Eddy lined up front and back when the concert was about to start.  The two of them seemed to focus on peeking the stage at the backstage door, listening to the MC chant fluently.

"Hey," Eddy who stands in front, suddenly called out.

Brett did not flinch, he remained focused on looking forward, but still listening.

"I heard that your Dad has been penalized," said Eddy again.  "Ellie told me everything."

"Well, that's good for you, right?" Brett smiles slightly.

"Ellie suddenly said I'm a good guy," Eddy said quietly. A glimpse of red tint on his cheeks flushed.

Brett chuckles.  "YOU are the reason she's happy, you know."

"What?"

"Ellie told me herself," said Brett.  "Now, make her happy. I promise I won't bother you again."

Eddy smiles.  His face was not as flat as usual.

"And Eddy...," said Brett with a sigh. 

Eddy's eyes glances at Brett, withou him turn his head. His expression went confused.

"I've never had everything," Brett continued.  "Yes sure, maybe you're pissed because Ellie is more interested in me. I also have lots of friends because I socialize more than you. But you have to remember, I don't have a mother."

Eddy looked down. "Sorry about that."

"From a young age, I had to accept that fact. You won't even want to know how that feels."

Eddy look down a bit. "Actually, I envy you since we were in school. You had a great life, you have a lot of friends, you're adored as a concertmaster, even Ellie looks up to you."

Brett silents.

"You know why I'm so pissed?" asked Eddy. "I reckon you didn't realized one bit, but Ellie loved you from the beginning of our friendship, while I only have to withness that with my feelings for her buried, deep inside."