Fireflies

Background

Jade Johnson is a 23 year old woman. She used to live with her father before the world ended. He wasn't a bad father, not at first anyway. Whenever my mom died, he began drinking. He was depressed and she understood that, because she was too. Years later though, he started going to work less and going to the bar more. Then, somebody sold him something and that's when he started beating Jade. He once beat her so badly that she had to go to the hospital. He broke two of her ribs on the right side, sprained her left ankle, gave her a black eye, and broke her right wrist. She was visited in the hospital by her best friend though, Maggie Greene. Maggie really gave Jade some hope.

Once she was out of the hospital, her father was sober and crying on the couch. "Oh sweetie, thank goodness yer a'right." He hugs her and cries a little more. "Can you forgive me?" She bites her lip. He always does this' beats her till she can't hardly move, sobers up, realizes what he's done, and then cries and apologies. Then it repeats all over again. She sighs and opens her mouth but quickly shuts it, seeing a cage in the kitchen. He looks behind him and smiles at her, going over to the cage and opening it. "I got you a pet. I hope you can forgive me." A German Shepherd comes out and walks up to her, sniffing her. She pets the dog with a small smile on her face.

He smiles at her and sighs with relief. She takes the dog to her room and shuts the door, sitting on her bed. The dog sits in front of her and puts his head on her lap, whining a little. "Ya already know, don' ya." She says it more as a statement than a question. He licks her hand and she sighs. She gets on her bed and he hops up beside her, laying down with his head on her thighs. She gently pets him with her eyes closed.

Present Time

I get out of my truck and let Dexter jump out. He stays close to my side as I open the bed of my truck. I pick up a box and put it on top of another box. Then I pick those boxes up and start towards the house. I try walking up the steps but miss a step and a box falls. A man catches it before it lands on the porch though. "Need some help darlin'?" I look at the man and feel like the breath has been knocked out of me. Those mesmerizing blue eyes. I gulp and realize he just asked me a question. "Uh...yeah, that'd be...helpful." He gives me a smile and walks to my truck, grabbing a couple more boxes. He comes back onto the porch and I open the door, letting him inside first.

We go into the dining room and set the boxes on the table. I open a box and start taking out the stuff I found; medical supplies, extra bedding stuff, extra tents, etc. I go into the kitchen with the medical supplies and start putting them away. I go back into the dining room and see him about to open a box that's smaller than the rest. "No!" He jumps a little and looks at me. I blush and go over to the box, grabbing it. "Sorry, this is a personal box." He blinks a few times and then nods, opening the other boxes. *Afterwards* I put the small box of books in my bedroom and come out, seeing the man talking with Hershel in the kitchen. Dexter nudges my hand and I look down at him. They eventually stop talking and Hershel leaves. "Thanks..." I suddenly realize I don't know his name.

He smiles again. "Daryl Dixon." I blush and shift from one foot to the other. "Jade Johnson." He gives me a confused look. "Ya ain't a Greene?" I smile and shake my head. "No, I'm just a friend of the family." He nods and looks down at my dog. "An' who's this?" He crouches down and puts his hand out. "This is Dexter." He smiles as Dexter licks his hand. He stands back up, wiping his hand on his pants. "Well, see ya 'round Jade." My heart skips a beat as he says my name. "Yeah, you too Daryl." And then he leaves. I let a breath out that I didn't even know I was holding. Dexter nudges my hand again and I realize what he's doing. We go to my room and I sit on my bed. Dexter jumps up and lays across my legs.

Dexter's been my support through everything. He was there when Maggie couldn't. Whenever I get high anxiety, he'll nudge my hand or leg to let me know that I need to go into a quiet place. Then once we're in a quiet place, he'll lay across my legs while I try to control my breathing. He's been a big help and I don't know what I'd do without him. *Little Skip* We're all eating dinner at the dining table. Herschel and Patricia are talking quietly while everybody else is talking to one another. Dexter is laying on the floor beside me. I quietly eat while ignoring everyone's chatting. Until I'm called into the conversation. "Jade, why don't you take some dinner up to Scott?" I put my fork down and nod. I go into the kitchen and fill a plate with food.