Storm

I grabbed my bow tighter making my knuckles crack.
"I really don't need you running after me!" I turned around to face Daryl, tried to stare him down. But he was only chuckling.
"Yeah, keep telling yourself that", he mumbled stepping from one foot to the other.
"I'm serious. I can look after myself, I don't need a frickin' babysitter."
"I ain't here to babysit. But..uhm... you did see there's a storm coming, didn't ya?!" He was looking me up and down.
"Yes, I did, thanks for the update. I'm a grown-up, I can handle myself..." I hissed turning around again to continue my way.
"Even with an upcoming storm I can handle myself", I added under my breath.
"Whatever you say. I'll be right behind ya anyway."
"Fine, and I'll be right in front of you ignoring the fuck outta you. Just so you know", I grunted strutting through the woods. I climbed over tree stumps and jumped over branches until I couldn't feel my legs anymore. I walked on and on until I truly doubted my motives to run away in the first place. It must have been hours of running and jumping when I finally turned around again to look for my silent companion. Daryl was standing only a few yards away from me looking me up and down. He didn't look annoyed or judgmental. He only looked curious, waiting for me to say something.
I sighed deeply.
"I think we should head home now", I mumbled not yet ready to fully admit that I was wrong.
"Glad you changed your mind", Daryl replied but as I started to walk towards the general direction of home he didn't move a muscle. I was standing next to him when I finally noticed he hadn't moved.
"What is it?", I asked.

"Look up", Daryl simply said and I did as I was told. The sky was almost black even though it wasn't that late. I could hear the sound of thunder growling in the distance. In my stubbornness I had completely forgotten about the approaching storm. I almost dropped my bow when I realized what that meant. The storm was near and we were in the woods without shelter. That could very well end unpleasant for both of us.
"Why didn't you say anything?!" My eyes grew wide as I looked at Daryl who only shrugged his shoulders.
"Thought we'd be fine", he mumbled. Daryl was right, we both grew up in the woods, we would be fine out here even with a storm coming.
"And we will", I nodded reassuringly.
"Good." Daryl showed a faint smile. It was gone as quick as it had appeared. "We need to find shelter soon."
"A small house, would that do? I think I saw one a few miles back", I asked now more than serious. The coming storm already had me nervous.
"Storm's too close. I think we got a few minutes left 'til it hits us."
"Gosh, Daryl, you should have stopped me."
"Nah, it's fine. You needed it, didn't ya?!" The faint smirk reappeared around his lips and I could only nod at his words. I had not expected him to be this understanding of me acting so childish. He normally wouldn't give me a break about something like this.
"C'mon now, I think we just passed a sweet little cave over there", he murmured taking me by the wrist dragging me behind him. I could already feel my body tensing up upon merely hearing the sound of thunder in the distance.
„Look, over there!" Daryl suddenly changed directions still dragging me with him.
"What's that?" I tried to look past him and my eyes fell upon a small cottage close to us.
"Looks like a cabin we can stay at", Daryl mumbled.
"Oh great, a cabin in the woods...", I murmured under my breath. Daryl wasn't supposed to hear it but he did anyway.
"This ain't no damn horror movie, sunshine. It's the apocalypse, you'd think that's bad enough."
"Sorry, Daryl." I looked down and we walked the last few meters in silence.
"I'm glad we don't have to spend the night in a cave", I said closing the door behind me. We were lucky the lock was still intact.
"mmmhmmm", Daryl mumbled. He had found a few matches and candles. After closing the shutters he lit them and in a matter of seconds the cabin became rather cozy. Suddenly the storm outside wasn't as frightening anymore. Or so I thought.
After we had made ourselves at home as good as possible I took a seat on the small bed that was standing at the back of the cottage.
Daryl sighed and sat next to me.
"Guess we can just wait now", he said stretching his arms.
"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have ran away in the first place."
"As I said, we all need some time alone every now and then."
"It wasn't just that..."
"Then what was it?" He looked me up and down and it was only now that I realized how close he was. Our knees were almost touching.
"Well, I was convinced I wouldn't come back this time. I feel so... imprisoned. I've been outside almost all my life, spend my days in the woods, lived only on what nature provided me and I was fine, Daryl, I was more than fine. But now... with all those walkers around the place I had always felt safest at is not save anymore." I had a lump in my throat. I tried to swallow it but it wouldn't go away. The realization that there was no place for me to go hit me hard.
"I know how ya feel." Daryl raised an eyebrow. "But we have to try. You're family too, ya know."
"Is that why you're here with me now?" My eyes were teary.
"Yeah." Daryl nodded with a smile. Getting serious again he added: "And 'cause I know how scared you are of thunderstorms. Thought it wouldn't be the best to be out here alone with this big storm comin'."
"You know about that!?" I looked down embarrassed by him mentioning what I thought to be my greatest weakness. Me who lived in nature for almost her whole life afraid of thunderstorms, one of nature's most beautiful natural spectacles.
"I've seen ya. It's nothin' to be embarrassed about though." Daryl shifted around getting himself only slightly but still noticeably closer to me. "And I want ya to know I'm here."
"Okay, listen, Daryl, I appreciate your concern but seriously I'm grown-up, I ain't scared of a little storm. I'm fine", I hissed back, but I couldn't even finish the sentence before the rumbling thunder and whistling storm around the corners of our shelter made me jump. Daryl quietly giggling behind me didn't really help.
"It's okay to be scared of some things, you know?! Doesn't mean you're any less tough or whatever you're tryin' to prove here."
"I ain't proving anything!", I shrieked. My hands were sweaty and I felt myself gasping for air. It felt like there were iron chains clasped tight around my chest and breathing got more and more difficult.
"C'mon, breathe, look at me." Daryl had gotten up as well. He was holding me at arm's length making me look at him. "Count to ten. C'mon, we'll do it together."
The next rumbling thunder was even louder and way closer than the first one. I couldn't breathe, my head felt dizzy as I was trying to do as Daryl had told me. The fact that the cabin sounded like it was about to break apart didn't really help me either. When lightning struck nearby I couldn't hold back anymore. Shaking and crying I couldn't hold myself up any longer. My knees were too weak and after a while of fighting it my legs finally gave up under me and I collapsed to the ground. Or so I thought. Instead of lying on the cold ground I found myself in Daryl's arms.
"It's fine, it's okay, you're gonna get through this", he mumbled against my hair stroking my back trying to sooth me as much as he could.
And it worked. I was still scared and pressed my eyes shut with every growling thunder, but it still helped. After a while I felt my breathing become regular again, I felt my shaking knees getting stronger again and the tears finally dried up.
Even after it all had long stopped, after the storm was long gone I was still in Daryl's arms.
"I know how you feel", he broke the silence but still wouldn't let go of me. And I gratefully kept holding on to him as well.
"About what?"
"Feeling trapped. But you know, you can still come out here. You can be safe at Alexandria, live there with all of us, and still come out here and enjoy the nature around you. You can still go hunting and picking mushrooms and berries." He had started to run his fingers up and down my spine again. With a pleasant sigh I cuddled up against his chest. Deep down I knew he was more than right and even if I hated being wrong I had to admit it this time.
"You're right, Daryl. I was wrong to put you in danger when it could have been easily avoided if only I had thought it through in the first place. I'm sorry."
"Don't be. Just, let's get back soon, okay?! I mean, tomorrow. It's already dark and we're safe for the night." I could hear the smile in his voice.
"Thank you", I mumbled against his chest.
"For what!?"
"Being here with me today. I...I honestly don't know what I'd have done without you."
"It's okay. I'd do it again any time", Daryl murmured against my hair. And to my surprise and delight he wouldn't let go of me for the rest of the night.