Atone

Atone: Make amends or reparation.

"That's right. You heard me bitch, you got a problem bring it on. If you're mad enough I'll take it up the chain if your pussy...you heard my yeah cuz he has none come bitch. Ain't dip take it off the damn chain of command or you can kiss my lily white ass. That's right, you heard me." The man on the other rooftop laughs and mumbles to himself. "16 months in the decade oh that's what G's cost me. That...that was a hard time. All right by God is worth them just to see that pricks teeth out on the ground." Who the hell is he talking about? I just stand there, watching him and listening. He looks up at the sky and then at his cuffed hand and starts freaking out while yelling. He starts begging for Jesus to help him and I feel a pain in my heart for him. Who the fuck would leave a man cuffed on a roof without any food or water? Suddenly the door to his rooftop opens slightly and walkers start banging on it, trying to get to him.

I bite my lip and stomp away from the edge of my rooftop going past the door leading back down to the store. I turn back around and take a deep breath. I start running towards his rooftop and jump over the edge. I land on his rooftop with a roll and stand up quickly, running over to the door and taking out my axe. I kill the walkers with my axe and clean the blood off on my pants. I slowly make my way over to the man and see just how weak he looks. I come into his line of sight and he looks up at me. He looks weak physically but I can tell by the look in his eyes, he's a very strong man. "I'm gonna help you." He gives me a wearily look before nodding. I put my axe down and take out my lock-picking kit. I pick the cuffs and he rubs his wrist. "I'm Merle, what's yer name sweetpea?" I sit in front of him and grab a water bottle out of my bag, handing it to him. He greedily drinks most of it and gives me a small smile, I wouldn't have known he was smiling at me if I wasn't looking at him.

"I'm Parker. Mind telling me why you were cuffed up here?" His calm expression changes to one of anger quickly but it doesn't scare me. "A cop cuffed me. And the group I was with took the cop with them, leaving me up here. Like a chained up dog." I take out a bag of jerky and hand it to him, his eyes light up a little and he starts eating it. I think about what he told. "Shitty fucking cop." He chuckles and nods in agreement. "I'm guessing this group you were with has a camp somewhere?" He nods and finishes off the bag of jerky. "My shit's there, so is my brother." I nod, thinking more. I stand up and put my hand out for him to take. "Well Merle, lets go get your brother and shit." He chuckles and shakes his, but he takes my hand and I lift him up.

*Time-skip*

Merle and I have gotten along very well. He's irritable sometimes and he's yelled at me more than once, but I don't mind. I just let him have his moments until he either breaks down and apologizes or stomps off while cursing under his breath. Right now, he's cursing under his breath and stomping away. I sigh and quietly follow him. I know Merle's past, he told me one night we found some alcohol and he drank. We have similar pasts, only difference is he got away from his father. I never told him my past and I don't wear anything that will show my back, arms or thighs. So I'm sweating bullets in this Georgia heat. I look at Merle and shake my head, he's slowed down some now, probably knowing I'm following him. Merle is tall, about 5'10, to where I'm 5'3. Merle made a joke about how short I am once. I was annoyed at his remark but told him, "I'm little but I'm sneakier and smart." He laughed but didn't disagree.

Merle stops walking and so do I. He turns around and stomps over to me. I tense up but don't show him any fear, I keep an expressionless face. "How old are you Parker?" I relax a little and sigh, looking away from him. "Why's it matter? The world has ended Merle, who the hell cares about that shit?" He glares at me and for once in my entire time with him, I feel intimated. "I care about that shit Parker!" I sigh but look down at my shoes. "I'm 18." I stand there, waiting for him to yell at me or something. Instead, he puts his hand on my shoulder and his other hand lifts my chin to look at him. "That's all I wanted to know." He pulls me into his chest and hugs me. I sigh into his chest and let him hug me. I've never been for physical contact but I've gotten used to Merle hugging me, it makes me feel safe in this shitty world.

*Another Time-skip*

Merle found his brother. He said he was with the group that left him on that roof in a place called Alexandria. We were on our way to Alexandria when a herd came out of nowhere. Merle and I were separated and now I'm alone. I'm tracking some footprints right now that look to be Merle's. He taught me how to track better and properly clean what I hunt. His footprints lead out of the woods so I follow them, coming to a gas station. I go to the gas station and enter, checking to make sure there's no walkers. I see some writing on the counter next to the cash-register and read it. *P - Go to Alexandria, I'll be there waiting for you sweetpea. - M* The counter is dusty and I can tell he wrote it in the dust. I wipe away the message and sigh. I look around the station and find some food and a couple bottles of water hiding on the very bottom of a shelf in the back room, thanks Merle.

*Another Little Time-skip*

I'm running from some men that were camping on the road. I tried to cut through the woods to get by them, but they had more people in the woods looking around and keeping guard. They saw me and I instantly felt threatened. One shot me as I was running and I was hit in the side of my stomach. I managed to get away from them and bandaged my wound, luckily the bullet went straight through. I'm back on the road now and feeling very exhausted. I see a big fence in the distance and a gate. I see a woman standing atop the fence with a gun. I bite my lip, debating whether or not I should ask her for help. She could be with the people that shot me.

I sigh and walk towards the gate. She sees me and raises her gun at me. I quickly look at her, "Please, don't hurt me." She puts her gun down from aiming at me and tells somebody to open the gate. The gate opens and I walk through. A man with long and nappy brown hair comes over to me and starts trying to lift my shirt, I've had my hand on my wound ever since I was shot. I slap his hand away and he glares at me. "I'm not bit, I was shot." I see some more people coming towards us and I tense up, reaching for my gun but stopping when nappy hair guy hardens his glare.

My vision begins to blur and I try blinking to clear my vision. "Sweetpea?" I look around for the person who called me that nickname. "M-Merle?" I take a step forward but my vision darkens and I fall onto the ground. "Parker!" My vision goes black after that.