War Or Love

You can feel the heavy gaze from across the field. Intense eyes fixated on your figure as you rattle the chain-wire fence that surrounds the newest section of Alexandria. The post-apocalyptic town has been thriving since the end of Negan's reign and with the undead being the town's only consistent antagonist, it has given the community an opportunity to expand their borders. The chain-mesh fence was scavenged from the Sanctuary before the community fell off the map and serves as a strong protector as the new plot of land gets tilled. But it remains fragile when leant against and it has become a daily task during guard duty to rid the walkers that stumble near the temporary fence, a job you jump at to vent your frustrations.

The deliberate noise draws the attention of the few walkers close by and they turn, growling as they catch your scent in the wind and they shuffle your way. It's second nature now, muscle memory, to shift your grip on the knife handle and strike at their heads, using the fence for leverage and stability. The motions do nothing to quench the frustration and fire that rages inside you and you growl, yanking your knife from the last walker's head with more force than necessary. The bloodied blade gets cleaned on the rag that is tied to your belt loops and then you are left with nothing to do, no more walkers to distract you from the boredom or the swirl of emotions that fester inside.

You find yourself glancing over in his direction, succumbing to the gravitational pull of the universe and you don't find yourself surprised at all to find him still staring at you, a dark scowl painted across his face. You sneer back at him, standing strong with your own gaze.

"Stupid, fucking redneck," you mutter under your breath and the fire that burns in your chest grows hotter, feeding off of your anger.

The swishing of grass on your left distracts you and you are met with Carol only a few feet from you. You nod at her, giving her a tight-lipped smile as well before turning to look at the perimeter, finding nothing in the wilderness has changed and you sigh.

"I saw you staring at each other, I wasn't sure if it was sexual tension or murderous rage," Carol says lightly, walking to your side and mirrors your stance; arms crossed and back straight.

You scoff, openly showing that you aren't in the mood for her banter today but it doesn't deter the older woman.

"Most definitely murderous rage" you grit.

"See, I don't know about that - I see a lot of passion," She teases.

You throw her a withering look, disdain heavy in your eyes and if Carol isn't careful; some of that murderous rage will be pointed at her soon.

"So if it is murderous rage, how long are you going to remain angry at him?" Carol tries a gentler approach, obviously getting the message and you wince, guilt beginning to set in as you mentally chastise yourself about your unrestrained attitude.

Shrugging, you refuse to make eye contact with your old friend. "I don't know Carol, he humiliated me," you breathe.

"He didn't mean too, he was worried," Carol begins to defend him but when she sees you shaking your head and the flash of hurt across your face, she stops herself.

"But he did it anyway. He humiliated me, he berated me in front of everyone, undermined me, treating me as if I am some soft fucker who hasn't been beyond the walls" you spit and you render the woman silent, unsure about what to say next.

When the silence between the pair of you becomes stagnant, Carol realises it's time for her to leave and she steps back a few feet, mulling over her next words.

"Talk to him," she pleads and you snort, "Fuck no,".

Carol says your name in warning, making you roll your eyes. "I'm not fucking submitting. If he wants to talk, then he can man up and come to me with a goddamn apology,".