A Reason to Live

^ That's Marnie/Ella ^

A shrill cry echoed in the woods. I've been alone long before the world decided to nose dive into the worst. I avoided people like the plague, but now, I kinda miss people. I guess I shouldn't say I'm totally alone. I do have my nephew, Dean, with me. His parents overdosed on drugs and alcohol one night, leaving Dean with me. I still remember the day he came to me.

Flashback

I grab my knife and put it in its holster on my thigh. I then grab my bow and put it over my shoulder. I go to my door and swing it open. I freeze. A cop, a woman in a pantsuit with a briefcase, and a little boy are standing on my porch. "Hello Ms. Hopkins. May we come inside?" I nod and move to the side so they can come in, setting my bow on the shelf above my door. I shut my door and walk over to the kitchen, the lady and little boy have already sat down. I sit across from the woman and she opens her briefcase, pulling out some papers. "Ms. Hopkins, these papers are adoption papers. We understand that you and your family haven't been in contact for...a while." She pauses, thinking about her words carefully. "We think it'd be best for everybody if Dean were adopted by a different family. One that could give him everything he needs and wants. However, we understand that you're his last bit of family and so that's why we're here." I cross my arms over my chest and sigh. I look at her briefcase and see her name on it. "With all do respect Mrs. Robertson, I don't think a different family is going to be able to handle him OR give him everything he needs and wants. You said so yourself, I'm his last bit of family and family sticks together." I pause, letting my words sink in. "No matter what."

The cop shakes his head and the woman sighs, putting the papers back into her briefcase. "I understand. Sorry for taking up your time Ms. Hopkins...we'll be leaving now." I nod and stand up, so do they. Dean stands up and I give him a look, making him sit back down. I walk them to my door and watch them leave down my driveway. I shut my door and go back to the kitchen, sitting down next to Dean. He looks up at me...he's got my eyes, but my sisters hair and chubby face. I sigh, "Do you know who I am?" He hesitates, scared to respond. "Y-Yes. Mama told me 'bout ya." I chuckle at his southerness, he talks like her too. "What'd she tell you?" He thinks before speaking again. "She told me that you'll take care of me. That I'll be safe with you." I bite my lip and look away from him. She did this on purpose? I look back at him. "How old are you?" He smiles a little. "I'm 8. Today is my birthday." I nod and stand up, he does too. "We're going out." I grab my wallet and keys and leave my house, Dean right behind me. We leave my house and go into town. I buy him some clothes and let him pick some foods that he likes. We eventually finish shopping and go back home. I set up his bedroom for him while he watches TV. I see it's getting dark and go into the living room to get him. I stop when I see him sleeping on the couch. I sigh and pick him up, carrying him to his new room and setting him on the bed. He mumbles, "Night night Marnie." I freeze when I hear that nickname. My sister used to call me that. I cover him up and turn the light off. "Night kiddo." I shut his door almost all the way but leave it cracked and leave the hallway light on for him.

End of Flashback

Dean pulls on my pants. "Marnie, I'm scared." I put my bow on my back and crouch down to his level. "It's okay Dean. What did we talk about?" He bites his fingernail on his thumb, thinking. "I'm safe as long as I'm with you." I nod and give him a little smile. "And what do you do when I'm out hunting and you hear something?" He doesn't hesitate, showing me he remembers. "I run to a tree and climb up it." I nod and hear another scream from deep in the woods, that didn't sound like one of those creepers, that was human. "And if there's people around when I'm gone?" He bites fingernail again, thinking hard. "H-Hide from them?" I nod and hesitate before asking him the last question. "And if I'm bit or scratched?" He shakes his head, tears brimming his eyes. "Dean, what do you do if I'm bit or scratched?" He sniffles and wipes the tears away. "I-I put you out of your misery." Before I can say anything, he quickly interrupts me and grabs my hand. "But it won't happen! You're gonna stay with me. You're gonna protect me, forever." I sigh and pull him into my chest, hugging him. "Of course, Dean." I pull out of the hug and stand up. He holds onto my pant leg as we walk.

*Some time later* I'm driving down the road while Deans sleeping in the passenger seat. I see a sign for a place called Alexandria and decide going towards it would be the best option. *Little Skip* We're on foot now, the car ran out of gas. I see another sign for Alexandria and sigh with relief, seeing that we're getting closer now. "Marnie, I'm tired." I put my bow on my back and pick him up, he wraps his arms and legs around me. He buries his face in my neck and I can hear his light snores, he really was tired. Eventually, we come up to a large fence and gate. The gate opens and I step inside. A man and woman look at me with their hands on their sides, ready to shoot me if necessary. "Who are you?" The man asks. "Ella Hopkins and this is, Dean." He nods and they let their guard down. "Follow us." I follow them down the road. "I'm Rick and that's Michonne." I nod, even though they don't look at me and follow them to a house. I follow Rick onto the porch and the door opens, revealing a woman. "Hello Rick, who's this?" Rick looks at me and speaks. "This is Ella and her son Dean." I don't bother correcting him because I can feels how exhausted I am. "Hello Ella, I'm Deanna. Welcome to Alexandria."

^ That's Dean ^

^ That's Dean ^