A Reason to Live | Part 2

The Next Day

I make some breakfast for Dean and hear him yawn. "Morning Marnie." I give him a smile and set a plate of pancakes and fruit in front of him. He greedily eats it all while drinking his milk. Once he's done, I take his dishes and clean them. I can feel him staring at me and sigh. "What is it kiddo?" He sighs and speaks. "Where are we?" I turn the water off and sit next to him. "This is Alexandria." "Is it safe here? Are the people nice?" I chuckle. "We're safe here and I'm not sure about the people, I've only met a few them last night." He bites his fingernail before speaking again. "Can we meet the people? Make friends?" I ruffle his hair with a smile. "Of course. Go change first." He laughs and runs to his room. After he's dressed and ready I grab my knife and pistol, Dean looks at me confused. "Just in case kiddo, you want bring your knife?" He lifts his shirt a little to show me that he's got his knife on him. I nod and we leave the house.

We walk around for a while until I see Rick with a little boy. We walk over to them. "Hi Ella and Dean." Dean hides behind my legs. "This is my son Carl." I look at Carl and give him a small smile. "Hi Carl. This is Dean, you guys can play together if you want." With that, Dean stops hiding from behind me and follows Carl. "Stay within shouting distance Dean." He nods. "You too Carl." Carl nods at his father and I sigh. "How old is your son?" I look at Rick. "He's my nephew, I was just to tired to correct you last night." Ricks face turns a shade of red and he stumbles over his words for a minute. "It's okay, I should've told you." He relaxes and goes to say something but is interrupted by someone screaming. "Marnie!" "Dean?!" I run towards the scream and see Dean looking at a few men that are fighting. I run to one of the men and pull him off of somebody else. He thrashes around for a minute but I keep a tight hold on him and he eventually gives up trying to escape. Rick holds back some Koren guy while I hold back the redneck. Deanna starts talking to everybody and I eventually let redneck guy go as Deanna and her people walk away.

I go over to Dean and he hugs me tightly. I crouch down to his level and wipe some tears away. "Go with Michonne back to the house." He nods and sniffles. Michonne walks with him in the direction of our house. I watch as they leave until I can't see them anymore. "I'm sorry about that Ella. Glenn is usually good about keeping out of fights. Daryl, well I didn't expect any different from him." I cross my arms over my chest and give him a look that I give Dean sometimes when he gets on my nerves. Rick sighs and looks away for a second. "How 'bout y'all come over to our house and have dinner?" I uncross my arms. "Fine, but only because I don't want to rob Dean of making a friend. And I need to get to know you all." He nods and we walk in different directions. I get to my house and Dean runs out to me. He hugs me and I side hug him back. Michonne comes out and pats my shoulder. "Rick invited y'all to dinner?" I nod and she smiles, then she walks away.

*At Dinner*

Dean holds my pant leg as we go onto the porch of Ricks house. I knock and he hides behind me. The door opens, revealing a woman with short brown hair. "Hi, I'm Maggie. You must be Dean." She gives him a smile and he hides more behind me. "He's shy when it comes to new people." She nods, understanding and lets us inside. Dean spots Carl and runs up to him, they start talking about whatever and I stay with Maggie. "Come on, I'll introduce you to everyone." I nod and follow her to the living room. She points everybody out and says their names, some of them wave to me or say hi. I just wave back. Then she takes me into the kitchen and introduces me to a few more people. "And that's everybody, well, except Dixon." I freeze at the mention of that last name. "Did you say Dixon?" She looks at me and nods. "Why? You know him?" I don't respond, just go over to Rick. "Hey El-" I cut him off. "This Dixon guy...what's his first name again?" He looks at me a little shocked but responds. "Daryl. Why-" I cut him off again. "Dean, stay here. I'll be back in time for dinner." And with that, I leave the house and look around. I hear a motorcycle and follow the sound. Merle used to ride a motorcycle, is he here in Alexandria? Could this Daryl guy really be his brother? No, he couldn't be, Merle never mentioned that he had a brother.