Huntress

"If you lie to me one more time, I'm gone. You will never see me again. You understand me Hershel?" He nods and sets his empty bottle on the bar. I look at the bar tender and nod to him, he was the one that called me and told me Hershel was here. Hershel stands up and I lead him to my truck. I drive back to his house and help him inside. I help into his bedroom and on his bed, covering him up. I go to leave but he speaks, causing me to stop. "No one ever told me that grief felt so much like fear. I am not afraid, but the sensation is like being afraid." I sigh and shake my head. "Get some rest old man." I soon hear his snores and leave his room.

I'm Avery Boone. I'm 28 and I'm an only child. I'm the Greene's neighbor, well, I live down the road from them. My parents never really wanted children, so they went to Hershel for help after I was born. Then, they just never stopped going to him for help with me until I started school. Once I started school, they got jobs. Only one of them would be home with me, but sometimes it was just me. When I hit puberty, I started lashing out on them. I wanted them to love me, to tell me what I did wrong and how to fix it. My father hit me for yelling at them, then sent me to bed without dinner. After I started high school, they started showing up at the house less and less. I didn't think anything of it until one night. The night a couple of police officers came to my house and told me my parents were dead. I didn't feel anything when they told me.

I just told them thank you for telling me and shut the door. Then I went about the days as if nothing had happened. But then Hershel showed up and told me I would be living with him for now on. I told him no and that I can take care of myself. He left with his head and I tried my best to take care of myself. I'd go over to Hershel's house and Otis would teach me how to shoot a gun. He also taught me how to hunt, not much, but enough for me to know the basics. I taught myself the rest and got pretty good at it. Then for my twentieth birthday, Otis and Hershel got me my first bow.    

I close my door and sigh, shaking my head

I close my door and sigh, shaking my head. I go into my room and lay down, eventually falling asleep. *Some Time Later* I wake smelling smoke. I sit up and see black smoke coming from under my door. "Shit." I quickly get up and grab my bow and arrows, then I grab my backpack and sling it onto my back. I bust the window open and jump out. I run into the woods, my mind running faster than my feet. *Even More Time Later* I feel like I'm going in circles. It's raining and I'm getting lost, soaked to the bones with nowhere to go.

I sigh but continue walking through the woods. I hear a branch snap from behind me and quickly turn around, ready to attack. Suddenly, a little girl comes out from behind a tree. She looks terrified, so I put my bow on my back and hold my hands out for her to see that I'm not going to hurt her. "What's your name sweetie?" She steps out more. "S-Sophia." I nod and give her smile, she relaxes a little. "Where's your parents?" She gets a look of sadness all of a sudden and I fear the worst for her. "I lost them. Those walkers were after me and I ran. I miss my mommy." I sigh and go over to her, crouching down to her level. "Listen Sophia, I'm gonna help you find them. Just tell me where's the last place they were at?" She points to the east and I sigh again.

"Towards the highway?" She nods and I stand up. "Stay close to me, no matter what." She nods and we start on our way towards the highway. After a long while, we make it to the highway where a bunch of run down cars are. We go over to a certain car and I see some food and water along with some writing on the car. "Sophia, stay here, we will come back everyday." I read it aloud and Sophia looks a little relieved. I step away from the car and look around, I know where we are. I go back over to Sophia, seeing her eating some of the food. She looks at me and stops eating, setting it back down. "No, it's alright sweetie, you can eat it." She smiles and starts eating it again. I stand near her while she eats, keeping watch. After she's done, I put what's left in my bag and hold Sophia's hand as we start walking down the highway.

"Where are we going? They said to stay here." I sigh and stop walking, looking at her. "I know, but we'll be safer where I'm taking you. You just have to trust me." She nods hesitantly and we continue walking. Eventually we come up to the Greene's farm. "That's our RV!" I look at the RV that she pointed at and nod. We walk towards the house and some people around a campfire spot us, standing quickly and running towards us. I stop and push Sophia behind me. "Stay behind me, I'll protect you." She doesn't say anything but hides behind me. I lift my bow and point it at the people, glaring as they get closer. "Who are you?" "Why are you here?" "What do you want?" I glare at them as they quickly ask questions. "Sophia?" A woman with short grey hair squeaks out and Sophia peaks out from behind me. She suddenly runs up to the woman. "Mommy!" They hug and cry. I don't let my guard down though. "Avery?" I glance at the voice and see Hershel coming over.

"Rick, she's safe." The guy puts his gun down. I put my bow on my back and cross my arms over my chest, glaring at everybody except the woman with Sophia. "Avery, this is Rick and his group." I keep my glare as I look at everybody. An Asian guy with a hat comes up to me and I tense up, he's stopped by the old guy with a fishing hat on. I nod at everybody and walk past Hershel to his house. I enter his house and sigh, going straight to the kitchen and opening the cabinet above the fridge. I grab a bottle of Bacardi 151 and go into the living room, sitting in the corner and drinking it straight out of the bottle. Hershel comes into the living room and gives me a look as I drink the strong alcohol. "Don't give me a lecture old man. Not in the mood." He shakes his head and sits on the couch. "I'm not gonna lecture ya Avery. I'm glad you're safe. I saw your house was burned down and feared the worst." I take another big gulp of the alcohol and sigh after.

Hershel stands up but looks at me before leaving. "I'll have Maggie bring you a tent." I nod and watch as he leaves. After a while, I decide to save the alcohol until I'm in my tent and put it in my bag, just in time for Maggie to bring me a tent. I thank her and exit the house. I go past the campsite that Rick and his group made and set up my own tent at the edge of the woods. I sit inside inside and sigh, taking the alcohol back out and drinking it. Footstep stop me from drinking any more and I grab my knife, ready to attack. I exit my tent and freeze, seeing the woman with the short grey hair. I put my guard down and just look at her, she's holding something. "I'm Carol. I wanted to thank you for finding and protecting my Sophia." I nod and she holds out a little box. I take it from her and open it, seeing some cookies. "Uh, thanks." She smiles and walks off.

I get back in my tent and zip it closed. I close the alcohol and put it back in my bag. I take a cookie out and eat one. It's not that bad, but I should save them for later. I put the cookies in my bag and lay down, closing my eyes for the night. Eventually, falling asleep.