Lost & Found

^ That's Sam ^

^ That's Marley ^

^ That's Marley ^

I'm under the bathroom sink, fixing it. "Mom?" I hum in response, tightening the pipe. "Can I ask you something?" I put the wrench down and come out from under the sink, wiping my hands on my jeans and looking at him. "Sure bud, anything." He pulls on the strings on his shirt, something he does whenever he's nervous. "Where's dad?" I sigh and stand up. "Look Sam, we'll talk about it when you're older. Why don't you go find Maggie." He slumps and looks down at the floor. "She's with Glenn somewhere."

"Then go play with Carl or something. I'm really busy right now." He sighs and mumbles something, then walks away. I sigh and close the toolbox. I go downstairs and see Hershel in the kitchen with Patricia. "Hey Hershel, could we talk for a minute?" He nods and Patricia leaves. I lean against the counter and cross my arms over my chest. "Sam asked me where his father is. I didn't know what to tell him so I just sent him to play with Carl. What the hell am I supposed to tell him?" He shuts the door separating the dining room from the kitchen. "Tell him the truth." I shake my head and uncross my arms, pacing the kitchen.

"You really want me to tell him that I'm not his goddamn mother? That his parents never wanted children so they gave him to me? Do you know hard that's going to be on him?" Hershel stops me from pacing by putting his hands on my shoulders. "No. Listen to me, Marley. You tell him the truth. That you are his mother. And when he asks about his father again, just tell him something else. Something that'll ease his mind." I sigh and nod. "You know where Daryl is? I'm supposed to go with him to question that Randell guy."

*Time Skip*

Randell escaped. Shane, Rick, Glenn and Daryl are out in the woods looking for him. I grab my gun and make sure my knife is on me. "Mom...where are you going?" I glance at the doorway at Sam and sigh. "I'm going to help look. I want you to stay here with the group. If the guys get back before I do, stay with Daryl. He'll protect you." He hugs me tightly and I let him. I've never been one for physical touch, Sam is the only person I let hug me. I gently push him off me. "I'll be back, I promise." He nods and I kiss his forehead. Then I leave the house, going into the woods and beginning to look for Randell and the others.

I've been out here for a while now and on my way back to the house right now. The first thing I see when I get back is the barn on fire. Then I see the cars leaving. "Shit." I run to the shed behind the house and pull open the doors. I jump into the old truck and start it up. It eventually comes to life and I put the petal to the floor.