Chapter one: The endless night

Start from the beginning

"It's finally the day I get to meet one of John's girls," she exclaimed, wrapping her arms around me.

"I'm Hazel," I murmured, hoping she wouldn't mistake me for Valery.

"I'm Savannah, John's wife," she beamed.

"Children, come down," Anna says through what appears to be an intercom.

She motioned for us to take our seats, which I did without hesitation, exhausted from the endless night I had just experienced. They all sat catching up on life while I sat admiring the captivating scenery. The tranquility was soon disrupted by the sound of bickering coming from behind us as their elevator came to a halt.

"Why did you call- oh, I thought you guys said they were coming next week?" one of the boys asks, only to receive a swift blow to the head from his twin.

"Owww, what was that for?"

"In need of you to mature."

"We're technically twins, so you're talking about both of u-"

"Boys!!!" Savannah hissed.

"Is this how we greet our guests?" Anna scolds them, as if they were children and not teenagers.

"It's fine, Anna, they're more like my kids," Dad assures her, as I glared at him for saying so, though no one seemed to notice.

"Exactly, thanks, Uncle Ethan," the arrogant one thanks Dad, fist-bumping him.

"No problem, kiddo."

"I'm Alessandro, and it's true we look alike, but trust me, we don't share the same level of intellect," Alessandro jokes.

"I like you," I chuckle.

"Everyone does," he smiles at me giddily.

"You sound as arrogant as the one over there," I point to his brother.

"The 'arrogant one' has a name," Alessandro's twin butts in.

"My apologies," I chuckle.

"Alexander is my given name," Alexander smirks.

"Quite arrogant, aren't we?" I mumble.

"Trust me, you don't know what it's like to have an idiot as a twin," Alessandro whispers. Little did he know that I do, in fact, know how it feels, or rather, Valery knows, since I'm the foolish one between us.

"I'm Hazel, by the way," I smile sadly, eager to finally end this introductory process and call it a night.

As I waited for Savannah to join us and show me the room I'd be staying in, I checked my phone to find several missed calls from Valery. The thought of her calling me and me not being there for her had me anxious, knowing she was going through a difficult time while I was here in the city.

"Mom left and didn't come home since. I hate this, I hate them for doing this. Please don't leave me," Valery burst as I accompanied her, reminding her that everything would be alright and that it was just a matter of time before everything went back to how it was, but I lied. It was too late for that.

Valery was never one to cry, especially in front of others, even me, and if she did, it meant she had hit rock bottom. It pained me to hear her sobbing like this, to know she was having a breakdown and I wasn't there to help her. It hurt that this was affecting her more than it was affecting us, and that not only did they agree to this, but that mom had left her.

"Val, take a deep breath in and out, just breathe, and we'll sort everything out," I directed.

"Nothing's going to sort this out. This is too much; she ran away, and she's probably not going to come back for me," Val sobbed.

"Val, she didn't leave. She probably needs time to cope with what's happening. You know mom would never abandon you, especially you."

It hurt to hear that mom had done that. It hurt that she left Valery alone on a day like this, when Valery had tried her best to be there for her.

"Promise?"

"Promise, she'll come back as soon as you know it."

"Good night, love you."

"Me too, don't forget to text me and update me on what happens," I reply and hang up.

I sigh and hold my head in my hands, defeated. This is too much to handle. We're not used to this, especially Valery. This is too much to take in, especially right now when she's all alone.

I walked back to where they were sitting. All of them were talking amongst themselves, and Dad was joking along as if nothing had happened in the past few hours.

"Mrs. Savannah, I'm tired. Can someone please show me to where I'll be sleeping?"

"Alessandro, please escort Hazel to her room," she insisted, and he obligingly led me to my room.

"Thanks," I smile.

Their house was a veritable maze, each floor more luxurious than the last. Alessandro offered to give me a tour, but I was too exhausted to indulge, so I politely declined.

"And this is your room," he smiled, opening the doorknob to reveal a breathtaking sight.

I stood there, struck by the sheer beauty of the space before me. The room was nothing short of perfection, with every detail a girl could dream of, which left me startled.

"This is my room?" I asked, confused.

"Do you not like it?" He seemed worried.

"Oh my God, no," I assured him.

"It's just..." I caught myself, remembering not to mention what had happened back home.

"Just what?" He questioned.

"Nothing, it's perfect," I answered.

"Okay, so my room is the third one on your left if you get lost or need anything."

"Thanks, goodnight."

"Night," he left me alone in the room, surrounded by a pool of my own thoughts and a cascade of tears.

Why was I crying? This time, it wasn't because I wanted to be back home, longing for everything to be as it once was. No, this time, I cried because I felt like no matter what I did, I wouldn't matter to her, to my mother.
As if I was an obligation, not a cherished child.

I guess I lied.
Leaving was the only option I had...