Missed out

The realization hit me while Alec rambled off about my whereabouts that I was indeed what he was looking for.
" Where were you? Are you okay!? Where'd you go? " Alec rambled worriedly observing my every move checking if I was alright.

" I'm perfectly fine, I just wanted to call dad and check upon him. " I smiled assuring him that everything was indeed perfectly fine.

I didn't get a response from him instead he ran his hand through his hair in a worn and fatigued manner.

" promise? " He hesitated to assume I'm hiding something.

" Promise now let's go have fun! " I laughed pushing him to the store, but he stiffened.

" What's wrong? "
Instead of receiving a proper answer, I was engulfed in a bear hug.
It's not as you imagined it, not awkward, but sweet, yet strong.
Rigid is how I felt, but hugged back taking in his care in a tender and considerate matter, it was sympathy-.

could it be? Could he be- No, he wouldn't feel that way would he? He wouldn't pity me for my attacks, right?

The thoughts that engulfed my mental senses brought me back to my senses making me pull back from his embrace.

" Alec "

" I'm sorry, I was just afraid something happened "

" That wasn't what I was going to say. " I interfered

" you okay? Did you not take your pills? " Alec gave me a stern look trying to interpret the way I was acting noticing my sternness.

Tilting his head narrowing his eyes on my feet that were being shifted one to the other. He took a step closer trying to clasp my arm, but I pulled it away before he could clasp it.

" Hazel, what's wrong? "

" I've got one question, and what I want is one proper answer to this question nothing more, nothing less "

" shoot "

" Is this your way of pitying me or is this you being tender and considerate? " I asked with a glimpse of hope that he would give me the answer I wanted to hear, the answer that I wanted to assure myself with what needed to be heard, the one that'll make me realize that I can try and this will work out. I also didn't want to hear a fake answer that'll hurt me and break me into pieces.

Alec looked like he phased out a look of hurt evident on his face and a look that showed regret which confused me more and more.

" Alec, I need an answer "

" your anxiety is kicking in trying to take over your senses which you shouldn't let bother you. I'll be there to prove to you that I'm here for you and that I genuinely care, but others won't. That doesn't mean you should give up though. "

Smiling at him in adoration at how sweet and authentic he could be at times which compels the thoughts in my mind making me forget how I could even assume that he'd do it in the first place.
" Thank you " I whispered.

" Oh and next time you thank me our friendship will be slipping down the drain " Alec chuckled as he ruffled my hair.

Soon his eyes were set on something behind me with an intense deep gaze, narrowing his eyes he muttered
" go to the car "
I nodded turning to see not only Dylan alone but with two older guys standing by both sides of Dylan.

" well, well, well if it isn't the new chick " One of the guys I don't know looked at me up and down. It wasn't quite hard for me to stiffen up and act confident, but it was evident that Alec was worried for me.