[2] The Beginning

So Christmas had come around and gone again and new years eve was here, but dad wasn't, well here with me and mum anyway. This year was different mum had decided to throw a party and invite the whole street, something which she had said she would never do, not in a million years, but everything seemed to have changed very rapidly over the last few months and everything seemed like it was all new and had never ever been attempted before, obviously street parties had been held before, but hardly ever organised by my mum. And now here we were, my whole street crowded in one house, maybe not everyone had turned up, but it was nice to have everyone round our house for once.

After hours of getting ready, dancing and drinking, the countdown was finally here.

“...5, 4, 3, 2, 1, happy new year!” my mum shouted from the top of her lungs, along with several other people, to the crowds that poured out into the street of detached houses, fireworks burst into the sky from number 12’s back garden. “happy new years honey.” She said whilst almost squeezing me to death. Her grip loosened as she let me go, her face turned serious as she held onto my arms. “Listen Miya, I know things haven't exactly been easy recently, like your dad not being around and when he is, the arguments that go on between him and me, but the government is a lot of stress and he has a lot to do, you know what it’s like.” she took a deep breath before continuing “but I've seen how you become really down after me and him have argued, but that doesn't mean you can't talk to me, about things, there must be a lot on your mind, after moving last February so please.” I began to wonder what the hell she was going on about, sure I got upset when her and my dad argued, but I was getting used to it, it was like a constant event and when the last row finished and dad went back to work, the time would begin to tick down again until he arrived home the shouts echoed through the house once again. But everything was made clear and she continued once again, “I've seen how close you’ve been getting with Lloyd and don't tell me, you're just friends, you know I don't like him very much but I'm not going to stop you doing what you want, so if anything happens I hope you will tell me, I'm here for you ok?”

So now everything seemed that little bit more clearer. Even though I didn't know what it was exactly like to work for the government but I could take a wild guess and most probably be close to the reality of the job, but most importantly it seemed mum had made it clear the reason behind why dad hadn’t been around and why they kept arguing, but maybe that wasn't exactly the full story, were they hiding something from me? I had my thoughts, but I just couldn't bring my self to make them clear and question my mum about it, because I know it would hurt her and I didn't really want to fill her head with false information.

She wondered off like nothing had even happened between us, like she hadn’t just confronted me to explain everything that had been happening, I watched as she joined Liz and Mark near the lamppost, outside of our neighbours house. The party had been in full swing for nearly 4 hours, and everyone was either completely drunk or on their way to being drunk, but it was ok, it was new years, you can have a good time, no one was driving all they had to do was walk home, but in some cases, with people that had had to much to drink, in other words my best friends brother Luke and his four mates who were crashing round theirs for the night, they may need a little guidance.

Me and Carly perched ourselves on the brick wall outside of my house, our feet dangled just above the floor, we just sat and talked about what we had planned for this year, our girly holiday in the summer, the two of us with my mum and her mum. We watched on as her brother and his mate fell all over the place, while signing stupid songs, a scene I had witnessed once before at a street party.

Jane from next door stumbled over to us, and once finding her balance by using the brick wall we were sitting on, she handed us a WKD each and then wondered off into the crowd just as the music was turned up even louder. It was lucky we were a close street, and our gardens were big and backed onto an ally behind the next streets garden, or as my house was situated, it backed onto the beach, so we didn't seem to bother them much with loud music or shouting.