Chapter 66

These last few chapters will be over 3,000 words :)

TW: Domestic Violence
Word Count: 3300

After I wasn't able to focus on work all day, I trudged up three flights of stairs to my apartment with Alpine in my hands. I decided to not even go to the gym. I told myself I'd make up an excuse to tell Cody later. I was still trying to wrap my head around what'd happened this morning and last night.

I felt myself tear up as I reached for my keys, ready to unlock the door to my apartment. Once they were in my hand, I dropped them to the floor accidentally.

I felt like I was almost at my breaking point. Nothing's been going good or even okay lately. I bent down to get the fallen keys, but froze when I heard my door open. I grabbed the keys quickly and stood up to be face to face with Cody.

"I was wondering how long it'd take you to get home," he said with a small smile on his face. He pulled me into the apartment gently before planting a kiss on my forehead.

"How did you get in here?" I asked, trying to control my shaking voice.

"Found the spare key. Come on, Dais. In the fake plant outside your door?"

"B-but we had training," I said, confused about why he was here and not at the tower.

"Yeah, and I figured we could use a little break. I know it wasn't cool of me to drug you last night, but now that we're past all of that, we can really have fun."

"It's actually been a really long day for me. I'd just like to be alone right now," I said, not being able to even look at him.

"I get that. It's been a rough day for me too, sweetheart. How about a movie? We can order pizza too or something."

"I'd really rather just be alone," I said quietly.

"I don't think you understand how this thing is going to work." He grabbed me by the face. "If I want to hang out with you, you make time. If I want to have sex with you, you take your clothes off, understand, princess?"

"I don't want to do this," I said, not meeting his gaze as tears fell from my face silently. He bent down to my level slowly, forcing me to look at him.

"I don't care," he said gently, giving me a smile. "Now, pick out a movie or I'll make you regret not going along with me sooner, okay?"

I nodded hesitantly before he let go of my face. I sat down on the couch and picked up the remote. I started going through movies as I heard him start to order dinner.

Over the next few weeks, things with Cody started to get better. I didn't get drugged since the first night. If I did, it wasn't as much. Did I do things I didn't actually want to do and wasn't comfortable with? Sure, but I'm pretty sure he was getting better with everything else, except for hitting me.

I also wasn't forced to live in the tower because of the breakdown, but Tony made me stay at the apartment for a day. It wasn't the best thing, though, because Cody cancelled with his clients and spent the day with me.

I was in my lab fixing a piece of my suit when I heard a knock at my doorway. I greeted Steve as he walked into the room. He took a seat next to me.

"Hi," I said, smiling at him. The worried look on his face confused and worried me too.

"Hey," he started gently. "Wanda told me that there might be a chance that Cody's abusing you? She brought this up a while ago, and I didn't believe her, but she just keeps telling me that it's happening. That's not true is it?"