Chapter 23

HAPPY HALLOWEEN! -me :)
TW: None
Word Count: 1856

We got into the tower and went directly for the front desk. "Wait by the elevator," I said, motioning toward the elevator.

I was handed a small gift box by the woman at the desk and I slid it into my purse. I made my way back to Bucky and he had a confused look on his face.

"I have a surprise for you," I told him as we got in the elevator together. I took a drink of my coffee.

"What is it?" He asked, curiously.

"If I told you, it wouldn't be a surprise," I said, chuckling.

"Fair enough," he said, laughing with me.

"Close your eyes." He did what I said as I pushed him down the hallway to my lab. Once we got to the lab, I handed him the box I got at the front desk. "You can open them now."

"Oh," he said, opening his eyes.

"Merry Christmas," I said, smiling.

"Christmas is five months away," he said confused.

"Happy birthday."

"That was three months ago."

"Happy freaking Independence Day."

"That's in two weeks."

"Just open the damn box," I said, rolling my eyes.

"It's kind of hard to with one arm," he said, chuckling.

"Oh shit," I said, blushing. "I messed up, didn't I?" I laughed along with him. I held the box and helped him unwrap it.

"What's this?" He asked, looking at the unwrapped box curiously.

"A phone," I said, opening the box for him. "Now, I went all out and got you the newest one, so if you break it, I'll break you." I laughed.

"Daisy, you shouldn't have," he said, holding the phone in his hand.

"All the cool kids have a phone," I said, turning it on. "Even the uncool ones, like Steve. Shit, you reminded me I have to get him something for his birthday coming up." He laughed quietly. "I'll help you set it up." I sat down at the desk and he sat in his chair next to mine. "I ordered it about a week ago and I got a notification that it finally arrived yesterday, but we were busy putting together the arm."

It didn't take long to set it up, but when we did, I realized only half of the battle had been fought. Now I have to teach a one hundred year old man how to work an iPhone.

"We'll come back to that after we put your arm on," I said with excitement in my voice.

I finished up the last bit of wiring and welded it to be shut completely. I had him sit on the examination table and I opened up the "door" of the plating to reveal the wire that connected to his brain. I connected the two wires and quickly put the arm onto the plating. I heard the arm start up. It was a lot quieter than the last one, but it still made a very faint noise. I secured the rest of the pieces and stepped back, nervously.

"Can you make a fist?" I asked. He slowly made a fist with his new arm. "Yes!" I shouted, jumping up and down. "We did it!" I hugged him from where he was he hugged me back, using both arms. "Alright we don't want to put too much strain on it." I grabbed the sling from the emergency kit and helped him into it. "Does it hurt?"

"It feels so much lighter than the last one. Thank you," he said, pulling me into a hug again.

After we were done celebrating, I started to teach him how to use the phone. It was a few hours before he got the hang of doing simple things. I put in the other Avengers' numbers into his phone.