Chapter 62

Please spam me with comments/votes/whatever I've been a little depressed

Anyways hope u like this chaptah

TW: Drinking
Word Count: 2620

I turned to see Bucky standing in the doorway.

"Hey," I said quietly, holding my notebook close to my chest.

"Hey," Bucky said, walking into the room.

"Something wrong with the arm?" I asked, glancing over at Alpine who jumped off of the desk to see Bucky.

"No, why? Should there be?" He asked, picking up Alpine.

"No, it's just that, now since we're not really, you know, we should probably only see each other if we need to."

"I thought it was just a break," he said, tilting his head slightly.

"Yeah," I said, crossing my legs. Every time I looked at him, I was reminded that he hated me.

"Okay, well it's been a night, so break over, right?"

"Usually breaks are a little longer," I said, trying to explain it. "How about we give it a week for now and then try to work everything out?" He only nodded as an answer.

"Can we still talk as friends?" He asked, sitting down next to me like he used to.

"The point of a break is space, Buck, but we can talk today. What do you want to talk about?"

"How'd you sleep last night?" He asked, looking at me with cloudy eyes.

"It was difficult," I said, shrugging. "How about you?"

"Steve said every time I fell asleep I'd have a nightmare less than five minutes later. It was pretty bad."

"I'm sorry," I said, looking at him apologetically.

"It's alright," he said, looking down. "Should I stay at the tower this week?"

"That'd be the best idea," I said, switching the legs I was crossing.

"Why are you fidgeting? Are you okay?" He asked with a concerned tone.

"I'm alright," I said, trying to stop playing with my pen. "Look at me," I said, motioning to my face. "We are on a break now. You do not have to worry about me at all."

"I'll never not worry about you," he said, letting out a forced chuckle.

"Just try to. You might like it."

That night was another sleepless one without Bucky, and I realized that I might be able to replace his head wire with something else. We'd have to operate on it, but he said he would've been willing to try anything. When I got to the lab, I immediately started working on a replacement for the wire.

Bucky talked to me less than normal, but still often considering that we were on a break. It felt lonely around the apartment, but I didn't have to worry about keeping it as clean as I did with Bucky there. We made a deal where we'd trade Alpine every other day. I didn't tell Cody about our break because I knew he'd try something, so I had to mask my emotions when I trained with him.

After five days into our break, and working almost every hour of the day, I finally figured out a viable solution to the head wire problem. I got excited and knew he'd want to hear about it, so I quickly grabbed my phone and called him. He didn't pick up, so I figured I'd just go look for him.

He wasn't in the gym or the conference areas, so I went to the rooms and asked no one in particular where he was.

"I haven't seen him, maybe he's out for lunch or something," Steve said nervously as he stumbled over a few of his words. I gave him a weird look because it was around ten in the morning. "Are you alright?"