Chapter 54

TW: Light Smut
Word Count: 2170

When I left his room, I took my time getting him water, assuming he wanted me to leave for their phone call. I checked the door every so often, trying to hear if he was still talking. I didn't want to barge into their conversation. When I finally heard the talking stop, I walked into his room with the water.

"Thanks, doll," he said, not looking up at me. I noticed he was in my photos looking through them. "I like this one," he said quietly, stopped on a picture of me from the night Natasha set me up with someone.

"Why?" I asked, sitting next to him cautiously.

"You're so beautiful," he said, still looking at the picture. "I hated that day. You looked so gorgeous, but I knew you didn't do it for me. Never thought you'd get dressed up like that for me." He sighed and looked over at me. "You probably don't remember, but I was upset you were going on that date. I wish I had this picture earlier because I had a massive boner and had to get rid of it before the image of you in that dress and the idea of that red lace bra underneath your clothes left my mind." He chuckled, looking back at the picture.

"Really?" I asked, laughing with him. "So I take it Steve helped calm you down?" I asked, taking my phone from him after he held it out to me.

"Yeah. It was nice to hear from him," he said, smiling at me weakly. "What time is it?"

"Around three thirty," I said, looking at my phone screen.

"You could probably take your medicine and go to bed. Six hours would be at four, but you should probably go back to sleep."

"I'll go grab it," I said, standing from his bed. I returned with a pill in my hand. I took his glass of water and used it to take my pill. I sat back down next to him and he rubbed my back gently.

"You can go back to sleep if you want to. I'm sure you're tired."

I laid down on his bed and closed my eyes. "Come here," I said, reaching for him.

"Not tonight," he said quietly. I opened my eyes and sat up. "I just really want some space right now."

"Oh, okay," I said standing from the bed. "Night."

"Night," he said and I left the room. I went into my dark room and sat on my bed.

"What are you doing?" Liss asked in a whisper, holding Alpine. I jumped slightly when I heard her voice.

"What do you mean?" We both talked in whispers.

"He's terrified. He told Steve that he wanted you to go back to sleep because he knew he'd be up all night worrying."

"Of course he did," I said quietly, standing from the bed. I grabbed his blanket and left my room. I knocked on his door and waited until he opened it.

"What's wrong?" He stayed behind the door with it open only a crack.

"I know you said you wanted some space, but I need you right now." The door opened the rest of the way and I saw that he was crying. "What's wrong?" I asked, grabbing his hand and leading him to the living room to be out of Lissa's earshot.

"It's nothing," he said, following me.

We sat down on the couch, and I got him to open up to me after a few minutes. He told me everything about his dream and I felt like he was finally opening up to me completely. I talked him through everything before we laid down on the couch together. He held me tightly on top of him and I waited until I was sure he was asleep to fall asleep too.

I woke up on the couch alone in the morning. I sat up and looked around, seeing no one. I walked around the apartment and noticed they were both gone. I couldn't find Alpine either, so I called Liss.