Chapter 3

TW: None
Word Count: 1671

My heart dropped when I got a phone call a few weeks later, letting me know that Tony was alive and being transported back to California. Pep scheduled me a jet to get on at the nearest airport. The plane ride felt like it took forever, but I somehow made it back way before Tony got there.

Happy, Pepper, and I all waited patiently for Tony to land. We talked about nothing in particular. It felt nice to be around people who I've spent the last few years with again.

We all froze as we saw an incoming plane. When it landed, Tony was in a wheelchair, but he got up with help from Rhodey. He was in a sling as they walked hand in hand down the ramp. He smiled slightly at me as he approached me. He gave me a one armed hug and I hugged him back.

"Did you impulsively dye your hair?" He asked, pulling away from the hug.

"Not impulsively, I spent two minutes deciding it in the store."

"That's what I thought," he said laughing, as he turned his attention to Pepper. "Your eyes are red. Tears for your long lost boss?"

I tuned out after that, just happy for him to be back. I made my way over to Rhodey and he held his hand out to me. I shook it before hugging him. "Thanks for bringing him back safely," I said smiling up at him.

"No problem, Miss Stark."

We both went back to what we were doing before. I got in the passenger seat of the car, not wanting to cram myself in between Tony and Pepper. On our way to Burger King, not the hospital for whatever reason, Tony began to catch up with us. I got nervous knowing that I'd completely left California.

"So Dai, what've you been doing without your favorite cousin?" He asked, nudging the back of my seat playfully.

"Relaxing," I joked, keeping the details vague.

"How's the mansion?"

"It's great," Pepper cut in, saving me from answering it.

"How's the mansion, Daisy?" He asked again.

"I, uh, actually moved out," I said nervously.

"Hopefully it's close by, right?" He asked, emphasizing his words.

"Funny story about that," I started, sweating profusely.

"Gee I sure hope you wouldn't have moved two whole time zones over, more specifically downtown Brooklyn in an apartment by yourself."

"How did you know?" I asked nervously.

"Rhodey caught me up because I was so worried about you," he said dramatically.

"You know I could've done a lot worse things," I said, defending myself. "I could've gotten hooked on drugs, or rented the mansion to an old couple."

"You're right," he said quietly. "But I'm still shocked. Why the sudden independence, Dais?"

"I don't know," I said. "My parents made me move back in with them, and I couldn't handle it."

"Say no more, I completely understand."

After we stopped at Burger King, we went to a press conference. I would usually stand awkwardly to the side of the podium, but during this one, I sat awkwardly on the floor next to Tony.

When he announced that Stark Industries would stop making weapons, I felt super relieved. The thought of making weapons of mass destruction was one of the many reasons why I drank heavily alone at night. Chaos quickly broke out in the room and I helped Tony avoid everyone and get out of the building.