LXXIV

The candles flickered in the Lily Palace and the red satin which had been hung up outside the Lily Palace in place of its white ones in prayers of happiness and good fortune billowed in the night breeze. Sitting there in her room on her circular mattress laid with red and white sheets with the red curtains veiling her from view, she quietly sat there in wait. Before long, footsteps sounded at the entrance and Lucy's lashes gave a soft flutter as she felt her heart speed up.

Taking his winter cloak off, he handed it to the maidservant outside the Lily Palace before dismissing them all and stepping in. The maidservants closed the doors to the Lily Palace as Kouen made his way to her bedroom. Stopping before her, he unsheathed the curtains and lifting her head, her honey-brown orbs locked with his maroon ones. Even now, his heart pounded upon seeing her and his gaze softened with endearment. Kneeling down before her, he took her hands and feeling how cold it was, Lucy clasped it back. He reached a hand out to her and caressed her face to which she flinched a bit, startled at the coldness of his hand. But, he knew that wasn't the only reason.

Clasping her hand tightly, he looked into her eyes. "I won't touch you."

Lucy widened her eyes. "Eh?"

"The first night was my fault. I couldn't control myself and forced myself onto you when you weren't aware of your own feelings and still trying to differentiate between the ones you feel for me and the ones you feel for Koumei. That's why until you're certain about your feelings, I won't force you to do anything that you don't want," he said, narrowing his eyes with resolve. "This I promise to you on my name."

Lucy stared at him before pulling her lips into a smile. "Mn," she nodded her head and he smiled in return. "I understand."

"But, I do hope that you'll still allow me to keep you company," he gave an apologetic smile. "I am a rather selfish man, after all."

With a sleeve over her mouth, she chuckled and held his hand back. "Of course, Kouen."

His maroon eyes shone with infatuation as he stood up and carried her in his arms before placing her back down on the bed. He took his outer robes off and climbed into the bed with her, his firm, broad chest barely visible. Laying on his side with his head perked on his raised hand, he watched her as she laid there in his embrace, a soft smile upon her lips as she soon closed her eyes. Brushing back her hair, he planted a kiss on her forehead and smiled, his cheeks a rosy hue.

"Sweet dreams, Lucy," he said.

The candle lights flickered away as darkness enveloped the two with only the warmth from their body providing them the comfort of each other's presence. Pulling the sheets up, he placed an arm around her and soon closed his eyes as well, falling peacefully asleep. What used to only be a dream was now a reality and for the first time, he was able to reach out to that hand in his dreams which he constantly feared of taking. He was finally able to pull her into his embrace and stand by her side as not a brother or a friend but rather, a position that he had always wanted in her heart: a lover.

Meanwhile~

Gulping down another cup of the Empire's famous sake, he let out a satisfied gasp before pouring himself another. The celebration banquet had ended a while ago with most of the ministers, generals, and delegates passed out drunk from celebrating. Out on the balcony and admiring the moon, he gulped down another cup, his face now flushed red from all the sake that he had drunk.

"Sin, any more and you'll collapse," Ja'far narrowed his eyes, not wanting to take care of his drunk King for the nth time. "You've already drunk far beyond what your body is capable of handling."