Dukexiety Week Day 2 || Fairytales

This one was probably the most challenging for me to write shdbsb but here you go!

TW: swearing, lava, crying, violence, blood, disintegration, knives/blades/weapons, kissing, excessive shattering of the fourth wall, more tw's at the end(they contain spoilers, read if you dare)

For @dukexietyweek on tumblr

"Why the fuck did I agree to this?" Virgil grumbled, fingers worrying slightly at the hilt of his dagger.

"Because you loveee meeeee." Remus smirked, turning around just to wink at him.

"That's beside the point." Virgil muttered. "What the hell are you gaining out of this?"

"Gold. Jewels. Riches. The chance to fuck a dragon."

"And?" Virgil raised an eyebrow.

"Roman bet me fifty bucks that I couldn't get in and out without being burned to a crisp."

"Ah. I see."

Their conversation was cut short by Remus shushing him, crouching down suddenly. Virgil fell into place behind him, peering through a crack in the bush they were hiding behind. He couldn't help but gape.

In front of them was a huge circular chasm, so deep that Virgil could barely see the bottom and so vast and far across that he had to squint to see the other side. What he did see, though, was the lava pouring unnaturally slowly from a hole in the side of the chasm down to the bottom, bubbling and burning so hot that Virgil could feel it from where he was resting. In the middle of the chasm was a huge platform, rising from the void. And of course, atop the platform was a huge castle, almost as big as the one in the nearest kingdom. It looked ancient and burned to a crisp, all black, thin walls and tall, spindly towers. Connecting the island to the mainland was a small, rickety rope bridge that looked like it was going to collapse any second.

He had only one thing to say.

"...this looks suspiciously like the dragon's castle from Shrek."

"Stop breaking the fourth wall, dickwad." Remus hissed, not taking his eyes off the castle. He grinned. "It's this way."

Virgil sighed. "After this, you owe me some of Janus's chamomile tea."

"Deal."

He huffed, gripped his dagger, and resigned himself to following his fiancé into a dragon's lair in the middle of the night.

Getting across the bridge was fairly easy. Remus noticed Virgil's hesitation to go onto the rickety ropes and instantly scooped him up and brought them across, ignoring the squeak that emitted from his throat and his insistence that 'I can walk across this bridge myself, Reem. Albeit it be a very unstable bridge across a giant chasm of lava and falling would mean death." Before he knew it, he was standing on somewhat stable land again.

"You smell like sweat." He grumbled, letting him go and falling to the ground.

"Yep! I wonder how much money I could make if I turned the scent of my sweat into cologne." He paused as if he was thinking. That was never a good sign.

"You'd make nothing. Trust me." Virgil muttered.

"I'll have you know—"

Remus was cut off by a loud roar that sounded dangerously close. Instinctively Virgil gripped his fiancé's shirt and yanked him behind a pillar.

"Hey! I—"

"Shhhhh." Virgil hissed, his ears straining.

Thump. Thump.