One Happy Chick

Hey everyone! This is a one shot for happychick. hopefully u like it!

"Brody! Brody! Come here!" I called, racing into the barn.

My best friend came running in after me.

"Look!" I pointed to small nest that had chicken eggs in it. They were about to hatch.

We both sat and watched as each little chick poked its way out.

"I want one." I cooed, watching as they all got used to the weight of their bodies on their cute little legs.

"So take one. Darla's got enough." Darla was our lead breeding hen. I'm sure she wouldn't mind if I just took one.

I squealed as I reached out and grabbed the cutest one.

"I'm gonna name you Sunshine. Sunny for short."

"Sunshine? Really?"

"Shut up."

He laughed and got up, helping me to my feet.

"Why don't you go make up a home for this little guy and then we'll go out and celebrate?"

I quickly set up a cage with a heater and some food and water.

"Alright, Sunny, mommy's going out but she'll be back soon. Don't eat too much and try to get some sleep." I lectured, crouching down by the cage.

"You're talking to a chicken." Brody muttered, rolling his eyes as he pulled me away from my baby.

"Bye! I love you!" I called to Sunny, smiling as she chirped her reply.

Brody helped me into his pick-up truck and then started driving.

He took me to our pasture, which was on the bottom of a waterfall.

We sat in the tall grass and he pulled out a box of chocolates.

I smiled and picked out one of the chocolates.

"You know, my birthday's coming up." he hinted, his eyes locked on the waterfall.

"Is it? How old are you gonna be? Four?"

"Ha ha, very funny. So, what are you gonna get me?"

"Is my company not enough?"

"Nope."

"I'm offended!" I scoffed, rolling my eyes.

"Well then you really won't like this." He grinned before throwing me over his shoulder and running into the lake.

We both screamed as we hit the water. I gasped as the coldness and pushed back up to the surface.

"It's cold!" I shrieked, flipping my wet hair out of my face. There was one stubborn strand that didn't want to move though.

He leaned over and moved it aside for me and then I realized how close we were.

We were both leaning in and just as I'd closed my eyes, another splash sounded. We both jumped apart in time to see his dog, Lucky, swimming over.

"Lucky!" he called, starting to get out of the water.

I climbed out after him and he got me his jacket to keep me warm. We kept our feet in the water and his arm was slung thoughtlessly across my shoulders.

"Hey Brody." I whispered, turning to look up at him.

"Yeah?"

"Happy early birthday." I then leaned in to kiss him, only this time Lucky didn't interrupt.

One Year Later

"Brody!" I called, walking into our new house.

"What?"

"They're hatching!" I squealed, grabbing his hand and rushing him out the door into our barn.

Four new little chicks were soon dancing around, crying for their mom.

"Let's keep one." he murmured, tightening his arm around me.

"I'm gonna name it...Happy." I picked up one and cuddled it to my chest, leaving Sunny to deal with the rest.

"Happy?"

"Yup. Because she's a happy chick."

Author's Note:

See what I did there?

Hopefully you like it, happychick!

I will you boogles in my next chapter. BYEE!