Chapter 161: Backfired

Clementine's POV
Your breathing is shaky. You're leaned against the railing. You slowly open your eyes to notice that the boat's tilted. You stand up.

*BOOM!*
The ship explodes again, knocking your hat off. You try to reach for it, but it lands in the water with the walkers.

Your lips start to quiver.

AJ: Clem!

You look over to se AJ hanging from the edge of the broken planks.

Clem: Hang on! I'm coming!

You see a lifeboat in front of you. You jump on it, right before it gets knocked off the platform and hangs over the edge, due to several more explosions.

You think of a plan and you look up at AJ.

Clem: AJ, you have to trust me. On the count of three, let go, and I'll catch you.

AJ: Promise?

Clem: Promise. One. Two. Three!

He lets go and starts sliding. You catch him by the arm before he can fall into the water. You start pulling him up.

AJ: Hurry, Clem! I'm slipping! Please, Clem! Help!

You get him onto the lifeboat.

AJ: Now what?

Clem: We need to find a way down. This ship isn't gonna stay afloat much longer.

The ship explodes again and it rocks the boat, fraying one of its ropes.

AJ: There! He says, pointing at the tarp at the entrance. We can climb down from there.

Clem: Well, we have to get there first. Okay, we've got to jump.

AJ: It's far.

Clem: I know it's far, but it's the only way.

You notices that one of the ropes attached to the lifeboat and boat starting to break.

Clem: You'll have to go first. You'll need a running start.

AJ: I don't know, Clem. He says, turning to the tarp.

Clem: Come on, you can do this, AJ. Just run, and jump.

AJ looks at you.

Clem: You got this.

AJ: I got this... I got this!

He looks back at the tarp.

Clem: AJ, what do we do when we're scared? You say, turning him to you.

AJ: We tell fear to--

He's waiting for your permission.

Clem: It's okay. Just this once.

AJ: We tell it to fuck off!

Clem: Yes, we do.

He nods at you once. He turns around and jumps off the lifeboat and onto the ship. He turns around and leans on the railing.