Chapter 128: Making Relationships

You all walk into the campus. Someone grabs your wrist and you look down to see AJ. You and Clem turn to AJ.

AJ: They're pretty good. With the monsters.

Marlon walks up behind AJ.

Marlon: C'mon, y'all, food's nearly-- He says, putting his hand on AJ's shoulder.

AJ elbows Marlon in the family jewels. Marlon doubles over in pain.

Clem: AJ!

AJ runs off over to the gate.

Marlon: Shit... Kid packs a goddamn wallop, huh?

Clem: Yeah, you can't really walk up behind him.

You: He's got a...thing about that.

Marlon: ...A painful thing. He says, slowly standing up.

You scratch the back of your neck.

You: I may or may not have taught him that...

Marlon: Look, he can't go around punching people in the...you know...and expect them to eat at the same table.

Marlon looks at AJ. AJ looks back and when he realizes that Marlon's looking at him, he gasps and looks away.

You: I'll talk to him.

Clem: You sure?

You: Yeah, I got this.

You walk over to AJ, who's looking out of the gate.

You: Hey.

AJ: Hey.

You: What are you looking at?

AJ: What's that bird doing?

You look at a crow, who's eating bits of a dead walker.

AJ: That's gross. He should stop.

You: That bird's a crow. In school they told us they're called scavengers. Can you say that?

AJ: Sca-va-gers.

You chuckle.

You: No, sca-VEN-gers.

AJ: Sca-VEN-gers. What's it mean?

You: It means they don't hunt like us. They just eat stuff that's already dead.

AJ: Huh. Sca-VEN-gers are gross.

You: Oh, yeah.

AJ: I didn't mean to hit him.

AJ looks at you.

AJ: I didn't know that it was Marvin.

You smirk.

You: Marlon.

AJ: Right.

You: AJ, I'm sure they'll forgive you. You say, looking at a group of teens on the steps.

You look back at AJ.

You: But we should go talk to them.

AJ: But...but I don't think they like me. I can just tell. They don't.

You: They don't know you, AJ. You say, getting on one knee. I'll bet when they do, they'll like you just as much as Clem and I do.

AJ: I don't know... Marlon was really mad. And that girl I bit, she yelled at me. They're really scary.

You sigh.

You: AJ, listen. We haven't eaten for days. The car is gone. All that's outside these walls are walkers. Do you really want to go back out there?