LIII

It's been three days since they began producing the cure and although the personnel gathered only numbered fifty, it was more than enough considering how they wished to minimize the risk of being infected. Traversing outside the palace, they managed to collect enough skeletal ivies to begin processing it. Through it all, Lucy watched over them, making sure they made no mistakes with Kaede helping her for among those in the room, only they two — being a magician as well as having medical knowledge — knew of how to make the cure.

Needless to say, during that time, the number of potions consumed to combat their fatigue and overconsumption of magoi was more than any country consumed for half a year. But, if this was the cost to procure enough cures, then it was more than worth it.

"Are you tired?" Kaede asked.

The moon was high in the sky and considering how much time had passed, it was well into the night. The lights were dim up on the balcony as Sinbad laid there behind the curtains, his face and arms sprawled on the table sleeping soundly.

"No," Lucy smiled. "What about Kaede?"

"You know I'm not," he smiled.

"But you can sleep if you wanted to," Lucy pointed out. "And though you may not notice the difference, Kaede looks more refreshed after a good rest. Your skin even looks glossier."

"Really?" he cupped his cheeks.

Lucy nodded her head. "Definitely."

Kaede mulled over the thought, wondering if he should consider conforming to the sleep patterns of a regular human. But, it would be more sensible to conform to Lucy's sleep schedule. Thinking that, he wondered if her sleep schedule would be considered that of a regular human. He highly doubted that not sleeping for three days straight and sleeping for less than eight hours was considered normal.

In fact, it was amazing how she could still keep up that smooth, fair white skin of hers despite the unhealthiness of her lifestyle.

No wonder the Heartfilia blood is so highly desired, he thought.

"I'll keep it in mind," he said.

Lucy smiled. "Sleep is good for the body. Especially the satisfaction from lying down in bed after completing all of one's tasks that were given to them."

"Is that why you pull all-nighters and sleep like a dead man after you've finished," his eyes followed her as she walked away from the edge of the balcony.

"Perhaps," she chuckled, grabbing a blanket. "It's a feeling that one can get addicted to."

She placed the blanket gently on top of Sinbad in which the latter was sleeping soundly whilst snoring. Smiling to herself, she glanced up as Kaede narrowed his eyes and clicked his tongue.

"Meanwhile, that man over there is sleeping as if there's nothing wrong," he remarked. "As soon as we found the cure, he acts as if everything's fine now."

"I'm sure that he's had his worries," she chuckled nervously. "He's had it rough, too. For this to happen not even a year after his coronation ceremony," she softly swept his locks backward.

"It's a good lesson for him," Kaede said as Lucy returned to his side. "Judging from his character, he's not the type to learn unless a situation actually occurs. He's a confident human. Too confident for his own good."

Lucy gave a knowing smile. "But he is a good man."

Kaede narrowed his eyes. "You only see the good in people."