5.15 girl meets the centre

"Not bad, Luke

"Not bad, Luke. Honey, this is bad." Jon said after he looked at Amzie's math homework.

"Dad, I am hungry." Amzie said before she stood up and headed for the counter.

"Hold on. Z, you're a senior in high school. You're about to graduate. You have no goals as far as I can see. Have you even thought about college?" Jon asked after he grabbed Amzie's hand, making her turn around.

"I'm going to college." Amzie promised defensively.

"You are? Where?" Jon asked knowingly as he crossed his arms.

"Paris or Hawaii. I figure I have a better shot outside the country." Amzie said with a shrug as she put her hands in her pockets.

"Z, the people who care about you in this life you can count on one hand. Don't blow me off, okay?" Jon said before Amzie scoffed slightly.

"Daddy, I got people who care about me, okay?"

"Z, I think Mr. Turner's right. We're almost done with high school and the humidity in Hawaii is gonna make my hair go whoo! That's why we're not going there on our honeymoon." Luke said after he stood up, making Amzie chuckle.

"Tick tock. The clock is moving and you're running out of time to figure out your life." Jon said before Amzie rolled her eyes.

"I'll be fine."

"Yeah, but I'm one of the handful of people that cares about you, you know? You have four years of security in those halls, but they'll throw you out of there in a month, bud. What are you gonna do then, huh? Who are you gonna be?" Jon asked before he left the bakery.

"I gotta go to practice. You gonna be okay?" Luke asked as be looked at Amzie after he checked the time and grabbed his backpack.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"I'll see you at home, okay?" Luke said before he kissed her on the cheek, making her smile.

"Okay."

"Love you, baby." Luke called before he left the bakery.

"Love you, too." Amzie called back before she started to pack up her own stuff.

"Hi."

"Hey, Derek." Amzie said as she glanced at him after he walked over to her.

"I couldn't help overhearing your dad doing that number on you." Derek said before Amzie glanced at him.

"You think he was doing a number on me?" Amzie asked as she stood up and put her backpack on.

"Totally. All that stuff about only a handful of people care about you? I must have a hundred people who care about me and who care about me enough not to judge me like that in front of everybody." Derek said before Amzie looked down.