5.6 girl meets virna's lies

"Monroe's first birthday party came out fantastic

"Monroe's first birthday party came out fantastic." Shawn said as he looked around the apartment.

"It did. Beautiful job on the cake, girls." Katy said as she looked at Maya, Riley, and Amzie, who shrugged.

"It's what we do."

"Who's at the door?" Luke asked after someone knocked.

"Sorry I'm late. Traffic was a bitch." Virna said after she walked in.

"Who is that?"

"That's our mother." Amzie said, disbelief in her tone.

"Did you invite her?" Lucas asked after he walked into the kitchen, where Shawn was hiding from his mother.

"Why would I invite her?" Shawn asked before Lucas shrugged.

"She's still in there. Did you invite her?" Amzie asked as she looked at her big brother.

"Why does everyone keep asking me that? No, I didn't invite her. I don't know if you noticed, Virna, but this isn't a good time." Shawn said after Virna walked into the kitchen with Monroe.

"How so? I just came to celebrate my granddaughter's birthday." Virna said as Luke took his niece from her.

"Hi, Mom. It's been a minute." Amzie said before Virna looked into her direction.

"It has. I can't believe it. Lucas, you look so handsome; though you do look a little pale. Have you had your vitamin D tested?" Virna asked after she walked past her daughter and to Lucas.

"Forget my therapy for abandonment issues. How is your vitamin D?" Amzie asked as she turned towards her mother and brother.

"Amzie. I'm glad to see that your brother had your hair dyed back to a natural blonde." Virna said as she looked at Amzie's medium length hair, which was now light brown fading into its natural blonde.

"Virna."

"I see your hair is way longer than it was a couple of years ago. Too bad the stylist didn't do the extensions right." Amzie said before Virna rolled her eyes.

"Monkey, please stop engaging. Go home, Virna." Shawn said as he looked at his mother.

"Can you believe her? She barely even looked at me after waltzing in there like she'd only been away on a Mediterranean holiday. I haven't seen her in two years." Amzie said as she paced back and forth.

"Maybe she was nervous." Riley said with a shrug as Maya braided her hair.

"The only time she got nervous was when she found out I was on the way. You should've seen the way she looked at Lucas. Then she embarrasses him about his complexion? She's not wrong, but—" Amzie trailed off with a shrug.