CHAPTER - 31

Nihar's eyes had followed Purnima's look-alike for the entire party like a hawk. The way she remained engaged in conversations with Shomak's friends, he was sure that she was very close to his circle.

He debated between warning Shomak and keeping his acquaintance with Purnima a secret. While he was scared that getting involved with the girl can become dangerous for his son, he also knew he didn't have any strong evidence against her.

Her husband was a murderer and they both had disappeared twenty-two years ago. He won't disagree that he had felt relaxed upon hearing the news and thought Purnima was out of his life. But this girl who looked exactly like her had resumed his worries.

On the other side, Nihar was confused. If the woman was really Purnima, she would have approached him definitely but she didn't even bother. Why the sudden change?

He shook his head, this could mean only two things, she might have recognised Shomak and wants to use him, or she was not Purnima Bose. Nihar sighed, the least he could do was to ask his son to stay away from her.

He waited until all his friends had left the party and then approached him. Shomak was already surrounded by his cousins, hence first Nihar had to dismiss them, "now, why don't you all have your dinner. It's already late and I would like to speak with the birthday boy alone."

"Okay, Nihar uncle. As you wish," Nihar's nephew laughed and went off with their other relatives towards the buffet area.

"What is it?" Shomak asked once he was alone with his father. He did sense the uneasiness in him and his sudden tensed state.

"Shomak, it's about one of your guest. The lady - " Nihar trailed off but Shomak understood that he was talking about Ela.

"Which lady?" he asked.

"The one in the red saree, you see, she looks exactly like someone I knew."

When Nihar hesitated Shomak placed his hand on his shoulder and assured, "it's okay I know about Jogesh Bagchi."

"You know?" Nihar stared at him in shock. He nodded, "I also know that you are here to warn me, but it is not what you think. She is not the woman from your past and I am not in danger. It's fine. But I do want to hear your part of the story, baba. Some points are still missing which only you can provide."

"Shomak, there's a - " their conversation was interrupted by a notification in Shomak's phone. It was Nishi's message. Shomak looked around but couldn't spot Nishi. He remembered he had last seen her with Gorkel and Ela. Nervous, he quickly checked her message and stiffened. "I have to go, I'll talk to you once I come back."

"Shomak," Nihar held his hand, "please promise me that nothing will happen to you. That face is bad news."

"I assure you, she is not harmful and I will be fine."

Nihar hesitatingly let go of his son's hand but quickly added, "please be safe, I won't be able to face your mother if something happens to you. I know I cannot stop you, you are already determined but think about us son. You are all that we have. I lost my friends, I cannot lose you."

"You know what's the difference between us?" Shomak asked with a stiff smile while Nihar kept wondering. "You do not like taking any risk, not even for standing with what you believe."

"Taking risks can be fatal sometimes, you already know the story of my friends," Nihar spoke with a shaky yet angry voice.

"At least fatal is better than ignorant. You knew everything yet you didn't help your friends. I cannot do that. I will help them even if it costs my life."