CHAPTER - 28

"Ready, birthday boy?" Ragnik never bothered to knock before entering Shomak's bedroom. That's how he was, always.

"You need to change this habit of yours," Shomak said adjusting the cufflinks. "I'll wait till Ela joins you here," Ragnik chuckled.

"God Raks! Your one-track-mind is a pain!"

"Then bear with it, what are friends for!" he chuckled coming inside the room.

Shomak rolled his eyes.

Ragnik stood beside the window as Shomak combed his hair, "Shomak, I am scared," he said in a shaky voice.

"What? Why?" Shomak frowned looking at the tension that was now layered upon Ragnik's carefree face.

He walked towards Shomak's computer table and pulled out his diary. Shomak bit his tongue, he realised Ragnik had seen the points he had jotted down. "Let me explain first," he tried to ease out the tension that had gripped his friend.

"You were in the washroom, I came here to get your deodorant when I saw this diary. Shomak, I didn't mean to intrude. I mistook this as one of our project files."

"Raks there's nothing to intrude. You know you are my brother from another mother and - "

"Then listen to me and stop all this."

"Can you stop?"

Ragnik went silent. Shomak was right, he too was not being able to stop.

"See, those points are just possibilities. I won't just go to Contai and barge into the demon's lair without thinking," Shomak said holding his shoulder.

"Why can't you leave this on Gorkel? I won't stop you but visiting Contai and heading to some unknown village to find out ways to defeat the demon is ridiculous. Somehow I still feel that I dragged you in this mess."

"Stop thinking that," Shomak said banging his fist on the table.

"Then stop considering going to Contai." Ragnik walked towards him and pleaded, "It has been twenty-two years. What if Purnima is dead? And if she is not, why didn't she come to look for Ela? Let's assume she didn't have a choice. So when someone who knows about these cults couldn't stand in front of Kaanthalis, we are just outsiders. We cannot do this. Please Shomak, let Gorkel handle this. We will try to provide him with all the information required but don't jump into this alone."

"Huh! When am I ever alone?"

Ragnik shook his head smiling. True, Nishi and he would never leave Shomak alone in this mess.

"Raks, I have not yet finalised anything. If going to Contai becomes absolutely necessary only then shall I think of travelling. Otherwise, I am too waiting for Gorkel to find out a way to defeat this demon."

"He mentioned about an object, I remember."

"Yes, but what? What object? We cannot just rely on something which is not yet found."

"Maybe Mini needs a trigger point," Ragnik's eyes narrowed.

"Ragnik, no, don't push her. She is already too vulnerable. And even if you want, you won't be able to. I have seen it in your eyes," he smiled.

"Fine, I won't push her, but you have to promise me that you won't take any ridiculous decision before consulting Gorkel. He is the only expert we know. Agreed?"

"Agreed."

"Good. Then get ready soon, I'll help out Nishi at the garden to go through the final arrangements."