CHAPTER - 27

Ragnik jumped on Shomak as Nishi blasted the party popper on his head. "Stop it! I am twenty-five, not fifteen!" Shomak shouted jerking them off him. But who was listening? It was his birthday and since childhood, his friends didn't know the difference between celebrating and irritating. Not bothering his protests Ragnik chased him towards the garden with a slice of pastry and Nishi followed with a large snow spray can.

"Stay away from the arrangements!" Sudha shouted as she went to inspect the preparations. 

After they were satisfied with the decoration they did on Shomak's face they fell on the grass laughing hard. "Your face is glowing!" Ragnik laughed.

"Shut up!" Shomak rubbed off the cream and snow from his face and kept on hurling curses at them.

"Awe you look so sweet," Nishi gave him a tight hug and Ragnik joined as well. "Get off!" Shomak struggled to push them off but they were adamant. It gave them immense pleasure to irritate the ever calm and quiet member of their group.

"Hey! Don't ruin the garden decoration. Utilise those pastries by eating!" Sudha screamed from the other part of the garden where she was overseeing the buffet setups.

It was twice she scolded them within a few minutes. They didn't even want to think about the third time. Scared of Sudha's anger they decided to shift their excitement and mini party to Shomak's room. Going towards his room, they held Shomak's shoulder singing old Hindi friendship songs loudly.

Shomak's room was like their ultimate place to crash. Many of their notorious plans during childhood were hatched at that same spot as well as many successful projects. It was a special place for them, though his room had changed from that of a teenager to a grown up's. 

Ragnik settled on Shomak's bed while Nishi felt comfortable sitting on top of the study table. Shomak took the chair in front of the computer and perched his legs on another chair.

"How can you be so sure that going to Contai might solve this problem?" Ragnik asked.

Though Ela had already informed Nishi about their conversation with Ranjan Dutta's daughter Shomak repeated to update Ragnik. He pulled out a small piece of paper from his pocket and showed it to them, "today morning Sashidhar uncle handed me this newspaper article which he found in our archive."

Nishi read the article and they came to know that Hiralal Bose was not only a murder accused but he was also charged with selling strongly perfumed liquids used for hypnotism, sexual activities and banned religious practices. Also, he was a native of the Contai region.

"So I do not think that it will solve this problem but it might give us information regarding what we are handling. Besides, it's one of the options. I am not sure about Contai yet. And if Gorkel can find out about the scrolls then we do not have to go."

"Seriously Shomak? You still remember the shit that old woman said after losing the argument?"

"I just told Gorkel what I knew. Now whether it's true or not, let him find out. Also I believe that these liquids mentioned in this article were not made by Hiralal Bose."

"You mean Purnima was making those liquids?" Ragnik asked.

Shomak nodded.

"Even my relationship status is not as complicated as this situation."

"I bet!" Shomak laughed.

Nishi was quiet all this while. They noticed she was scribbling something on a notepad.

"Oye you, what the hell are you scribbling?" Ragnik frowned raising himself on his elbow.

"I am not scribbling, I am drawing," Nishi grinned and turned the notepad towards them. She had drawn two hearts. In one she wrote Shomak and Ela's name and on the other, it was Ragnik and Mini's.