CHAPTER - 26

Gorkel refused to sleep until he resolved the maze of Bose Villa. For the first time, Shomak had asked him for something and despite being one of the best in the field he was still clueless.

He had searched everywhere and he had searched well, he had also circulated an enquiry among his circle to get information but there was nothing that could help them to fight the demon.

A demon of a Kaanthali was not like a normal one. It wasn't just cursed, it had taken the form willingly and with every victim, it was growing more and more powerful. There must be something which could defeat him.

If only he had those scrolls Shomak mentioned, then it would have been easier to understand. The information was not exactly new to him as he had studied long back about such scriptures. However, scrolls that mention deers was a bit confusing.

Gorkel slumped back on the chair. His pet lizard Kiko decided to announce that he was up from his good night sleep. Gorkel frowned, "Do you creatures even sleep? I wonder."

The tiredness from all the reading and searching he was doing throughout the night had started to show its effect and his eyes refused to stay open any longer. Gradually a strong urge to slip into a deep slumber was overtaking his willpower.

Daw house was one of the oldest houses on that street and so was its doorbell. With a loud and irritating sound, the doorbell rang thrice pulling Gorkel out of his slumber.

He quickly checked the wall clock. He wasn't expecting someone and the milkman would come around 6 am, then who could it be at this bizarre hour? He peeped from his study room window but couldn't see anyone. Picking up the torch as it was still a little dark outside he went to check.

He had forgotten to pay the electricity bill and his brother too was away for the week hence the connection won't be coming back soon. He reached the main door and opening it checked the entire area. However, there was not a soul on the street.

"Those idiots!" he cursed referring to the notorious neighbourhood children who enjoyed annoying him. He turned back to go inside when suddenly a dried leaf peeping out from his letterbox caught his eyes.

He pulled it out and saw it was basically a covering of dried leaves secured with thin threads to protect the item inside. He squeezed and shook the small parcel to guess what might be inside but it only felt like papers.

He was confused at the style of packaging. It reminded him of those historical ways of wrapping gifts and parcels. Closing the door he went back to his study.

The candle he had placed last night on his desk was now on the verge of burning out. So first he lighted a new one and then carefully opened the parcel.

Opening the triple folds he frowned. It looked like some pages of ancient manuscripts but he wasn't sure. Taking out the magnifying glass from a drawer he inspected the item carefully.

As the magnifying glasses enlarged the writings his eyes widened with shock, excitement and disbelieve.  He identified it wasn't just any manuscript, rather a very important scripture that explained about Kaanthalis and the ritual. The scrolls that mentioned deers.

Shomak woke up before Ela. She was fast asleep in his arm. It was supposed to be a dream but happened in real. He quietly moved out from that comfortable position they were in since last night. She stirred a little due to the sudden absence of warmth. Pulling the quilt over her he kept looking at her face as she snuggled closer to the pillow.

His phone buzzed disturbing his silent gaze. He quickly took the call so that the crazy ringtone doesn't disturb Ela.

Ragnik's loud voice almost felt like a beating drum inside his head.