CHAPTER - 16

Time passed quickly but nothing happened. They waited. Yet, not even a movement.

Ela was getting restless, she looked everywhere and shrieked even at the slightest sound of dogs and cats coming from outside. Her fear was increasing every second while Shomak stood beside her, on alert.

A sudden loud thunder startled them both. She jumped on him and hugged him tightly. "Please don't, please don't hurt him, I cannot lose him. Please leave him," she murmured.

Shomak patted her back, "Ela, calm down, it's just a thunderstorm."

The thunder echoed around the house rattling the windows. She again tightened her grip around him.

"It will soon rain. No need to get scared," Shomak softly assured. She didn't want to believe. She waited, it would start at any moment. The demon would appear and throw them apart. She clung to Shomak with all her strength. How would she save him, she didn't know! Oh god, please, not him, not him, she sent a silent prayer.

When the soft sound of the rain drifted in from the partly opened window, Ela opened her eyes. She slowly released him from the tight hug, still not sure thought. She was confused that the window was slightly parted when every evening all sources of outer disturbance were closed tightly.

He smiled, "It has been two hours we are standing here. Since it is not going to appear anytime soon, we still need to wait."

Ela's eyes scanned every corner of the floor, she stared at the kitchen door, now half broken, as it usually appeared from there. The storeroom door too was open but there was no activity. She kept her ears on alert to hear that irritating sound. However, what actually came to her ears was the soothing rhythm of the rainfall.

"So what do you want to do?" he asked.

She turned towards Shomak and kept looking at him.

"Ela?"

"Huh?"

"I asked, what do you want to do?"

"Sleep," she replied.

"Sorry?"

"I want to sleep Shomak. I haven't slept properly in the last three months. I am tired of fighting. I just want to sleep."

He nodded.

She went upstairs. Shomak too followed her but waited at the door. He was hesitating to enter her room.

"Please, come in." Ela curled up on the bed. She was still afraid.

Shomak sat in front of her entangling his fingers with hers. She looked at him with admiration and worry. He smiled trying to ease her tension. "Sleep. I am here," he assured.

Bringing their entangled fingers towards her chest, she held his hand there as her head slowly touched the pillow, "I am sorry to drag you in this."

"Sshhh....close your eyes and just sleep," Shomak went near her and whispered. She shook her head, refusing to close her eyes in fear. Decreasing the distance between them he kissed her gently. With the soft touch of his lips on hers slowly her eyes started closing. When he felt her relaxing and gradually going into a deep slumber, he lifted his lips. Maybe that's what she needed, a slight hope and an assurance. He dropped a kiss on her forehead and was about to stand up but their entangled fingers prevented him from moving.

The idea of sitting there all night watching her seemed quite tempting but he was here to get more information. He needed to see with his own eyes what tormented the Malakars for so long.

With great caution, he slowly pulled out his hand from her grip and pulled the quilt over her. The gentle breeze with tiny drops of rain cooled the air inside the room. When he looked up his eyes fell on the figure standing on the opposite window. He couldn't really identify her face but he knew that was Ragnik's recent escapade, Jonaki Roy.