CHAPTER - 25

Twelve men sat in the lotus position around a sacred fire altar. They concentrated on the young boy who was trying to explore his newfound powers. His dreadlocks were carefully tied in a bun with a red thread and his body was smeared with ashes. He was completely naked like the other twelve men, the only covering being a small piece of red cloth over his male part.

It was not easy to be selected as a member of this cult. They wanted loyalty and knowledge. The two most essential things that the cult valued. They were beyond the orthodox believes of certain religious texts and followed their own path of worshipping Neelkantha. However, the path of becoming a true aghori was not easy. Only swearing upon blood oaths and holy fire doesn't work. A new applicant required immense control, knowledge, the determination to leave behind all ties and meditate with only one aim. So there he was getting tested before he could be accepted fully.

The boy's eyes were closed, concentrating on chanting the mantras he had learned from ancient scriptures. The twelve men studied his lips to make sure that he was uttering the chants with correct pronunciations. Once they were assured that he was moving on the right path, they gestured the woman, standing beside the tall banyan tree, to proceed with the next level of the exam. They permitted the boy to open his eyes.

The woman sat on his lap rubbing her fingers all over his body. He kept still and stared at the holy fire not even feeling an ounce of arousal.  One of the men instructed the woman to open her clothes and continue with seducing him.

The woman nodded and opened her blouse and then removed her saree. She now sat completely naked on him. She kissed his closed lips attempting to insert her tongue but his lips didn't move. There was no effect on him.

The twelve men rejoiced and with spoons made of human bones poured ghee on the fire, chanting "Om Svāhā."

The woman smirked. She got up, took her clothes and left as the young boy had successfully passed the level.

The oldest among the twelve men asked the boy to get up, "You shall be tested with two more hurdles and only then we shall believe you to be one of us." Another man from the group stood up and gestured the boy to move towards the bed of burning coal. With determined strides, the young boy followed the instruction.

"Start walking boy. We do not have the whole night," the oldest man spoke in a calm voice.

The boy lifted his feet and started walking on the bed of burning coal. His face, absent of any pain. He didn't even wince once and kept walking till the end. Again when he was successful the men rejoiced and repeated the same act.

Next, he waited for the most important and crucial test. Two men came forward carrying two earthen bowls with burning coal.  They placed the bowls on the young boy's hands and asked him to stand on one leg. The head of their cult stood up and came to stand in front of the boy. He started asking questions about their secret cults, the practices and the beliefs. One after another the young boy kept giving the right answers which impressed the men. Immensely satisfied with his performance the man asked one final question, "What shall I use in a large proportion to defeat a Kaanthali demon?"

With extreme confidence, the young boy lifted his head and answered, "dust of holy basil and civet musk."

The men gasped while the old man's smile fell. He became furious with the boy's answer. He lifted his hand and slapped him hard. The boy fell on the ground as the earthen bowls dropped from his hand. They started to leave the place one by one. They couldn't believe after years of practice the boy failed to give a correct answer to the final and important question.

"You have failed. Go back home."

The boy panicked, his heart thudding at the effect of the sudden result. He fell on the old man's feet and pleaded, "no please, give me one more chance. I shall succeed next time I promise. This is what I have always wanted to become. This is my true aim. I am ready to walk in the path of becoming a part of this secret-cult."