CHAPTER - 2

As promised, by 10 am Shomak had reached Satyaki Films' head office in Tollygunge which was well-decorated keeping in mind the theme of cinema. Of course, there was a mix of traditional classics and modern commercial cinema, but overall it looked right out from a set of any big-budget film. As a child, Shomak had spent a lot of time roaming around the floors just to get a glimpse on the practical side of filmmaking. Over the years the office was renovated to match the age but the interior of the old office was still alive in Shomak's memories.

Heading towards the conference room which had now shifted to the first floor from the ground floor, Shomak saw his father talking to his secretary. Seeing him Nihar nodded and asked him to follow him inside, "we were waiting for you. So let's start."

Nihar quickly introduced Shomak to the team of the new project but it seemed some of them already knew him as the young Bengal filmmaker making it big in the international markets. As the meeting progressed Shomak discussed and suggested the changes they could work with while also showing them clips of what the OTT platforms nowadays demanded. Nihar appreciated his suggestions and the team too looked forward to working on that. Especially they were excited to work with Shomak Moitra the international documentary filmmaker. "We are really hoping your next film makes it to the National Awards," one of the team members said. 

Shomak was a very private person who never liked praising his own work. He always thought he had the potential to make it better. So without extending the conversation he simply nodded and asked them to get back to work. 

The quick meeting was followed by a brief session with the project heads, who updated Shomak on all the recent happenings at Satyaki Films. Shomak made notes for himself while sincerely participating in the discussions. Nihar watched him with a smile and felt happy that Shomak at least had agreed to get into Satyaki Films, though partly. 

However, boardrooms and numbers could not keep him locked for long. As soon as the meetings were done Shomak headed for a coffee break. He had just settled with a strong black coffee when his phone rang again with that odd ringtone. Everyone at the cafeteria turned at him. He apologised and quickly went outside in the balcony with his cup.  

"Fucker, whose idea was it to set a specialised ringtone to your call on my phone?" he yelled picking up the call.

"Oh come on Shomak. You know I only do actions, thoughts belong to someone else," Ragnik mocked from the other end. 

"I am going to kill Nishi," Shomak said as he identified the culprit behind that mischief. 

"But for that, you will have to meet her first. And god save you then!"

At Ragnik's sarcastic warning Shomak started to laugh. Their third partner in crime Nishi Sarkar was one hotheaded woman and Shomak hadn't met her in the last two years, hence there would be a major fight.

If Ragnik was to be believed then it was Nishi who first informed him about Ela Malakar. After seeing that photograph now Shomak was eager to meet her. Though he was thinking of exploring the horror genre of documentary, he was more inclined towards knowing the girl and that haunted house.

"Let's do it tomorrow. All fresh in the morning!" Ragnik suggested.

"Don't tell me you are again out tonight partying?" Shomak asked in a disgusted tone.

"Not partying. Fucking!"

"Raks, grow up. How long are you going to waste your time in these meaningless relationships?"

"Who said anything about relationships? These are fucks. Nice, warm and satisfying fucks."

Shomak scrunched his nose, "And how old is this aunty?"