Lucy gave a meek smile and lifted the cloth. "Mn. I'll listen to Kaede."

He gave a sigh and sat down next to her on the couch, placing her head on his lap. She smiled.

"Kaede's presence is really comforting."

He gave a soft smile, patting her head. "I wish you could give me the same. It pains me to constantly worry about you."

Lucy gave a chuckle. "Yeah. I wish I can as well," she said, tears beginning to well up again. "But," she gritted her teeth, "humans really are fragile, aren't they? They can instantly die because of a simple bacteria."

She had thought this before but with the plague, the thought soon weighed heavily on her mind again. With just a single event, they could be wiped off and never cease to exist again. She didn't want to lose anyone anymore.

A shadow was cast over Kaede's face as he mumbled, "I should be the one saying that."

"Kaede?" Lucy moved her head, the cloth still over her eyes.

"It's nothing," he said. "More importantly, what do you plan to do now? Your body is unaffected by the plague but it is still of concern to you."

"I've already dealt with the Heartfilia Conglomerate and the Merchant's Guild. We have some losses but it's to a minimal degree. It's a good idea that we made preparations in case something like this were to happen."

"You've always had good insight," Kaede noted with a smile.

"But just having good insight is meaningless without people who will follow that insight and put it into motion," Lucy argued. "I should plan a company holiday once this is over."

"I'm sure they'll be overjoyed."

"Yes! Especially when you think about all the delicious food!" Kuugen popped up next to Lucy, standing up on its hind legs as it placed its paws on the couch, its tail wagging with excitement.

Kaede and Lucy stared at Kuugen and she chuckled.

"Indeed," she felt for its head and patted it. "Kaede, did you feed him yet?"

"I'll go do it right now," Kaede said for the only reason why Kuugen would ever pop into their conversation was when he was hungry. Moreover, that innocent and bright expression gave its intentions away. Rather than a fox, it seemed to be more of a dog. "It's about time that we eat, too."

"Yeah. You're right," Lucy sat up, taking the towel off and placing it on the edge of the washbasin.

Since the plague had broken out, Lucy had decided to step away from the Imperial Palace due to the fact that many of the servants had contracted it and though they were quickly sent to the nearest Heartfilia managed hospitals and clinics, it didn't change the fact that there were still many who lived in the palace. So she decided to return to the Heartfilia Conglomerate Headquarters which was situated in the capital where she stayed on the upper most floor of the towering, grand building.

Making her way to the kitchen, she placed on an apron and took up the short stool and placing it on the floor, she stepped onto it and washed her hands before taking the vegetables and washing them. Kaede smiled as he quickly defrosted the meat.

"Are you helping out?"

"Kuugen eats quite a lot, after all," she laughed. "Besides, it's always more fun to do things together. It makes it all the more enjoyable."

Kaede chuckled, a small blush on his cheek. "That's true."

The sound of chopping sounds against the woodboard sounded through the room, the fire on the stove turning on as the oil sizzled with the frying of bread-coated shrimps. Kuugen sat near the kitchen, watching from a safe distance for it still remembered when it accidentally got splattered with oil from running around. It was a good thing it had divine protection otherwise it would've turn into aburaage.