27) Islands

Russia steps into the meeting room back on the Aurora. It's already bustling with people, making him frown. He would rather be at home with Y/n. But River had assured him that he would care for her while the country was off doing business. 

"Welcome back Ruski," 

Russia grimaces as the familiar American voice is followed by the country clasping him on the shoulder. 

The taller of the two shrugs him off and glares. 

"Don't call me that," He growls. Only Y/n was allowed to call him Ruski, no one else. Except maybe his siblings too...but certainly not this idiot.

"Gee, sorry," America replies, his obnoxious grin unwavering. "Lighten up a bit, will you?" 

Russia scowls before taking his place at the round table in the center of the room. The meeting soon commences. 

He talks about evidence found after the explosion. Russia forces back the bitter memories of Y/n in the hospital and her rocky recovery as he talks. 

Despite the heavy atmosphere from the talks of terrorism, the meeting goes by otherwise smoothly. It leaves Russia with only one more meeting.

"Just you and me now," America calls from across the table after everyone's left. 

Russia glares at him, earning a frustrated sigh from UN. 

"Please tell me this is going to go smoothly," He grumbles. 

"No promises..." The Russian replies. 

"Those islands should be mine, end of story," America remarks. 

"That's not how these meetings work," His rival retorts. 

"Obviously not..." UN mutters. He sighs and adds more clearly. "Look, do either of you have anything different from last time?" 

"I do," Russia speaks up. 

"Which is what wise-a**?" America says, leaning back in his chair with an eyebrow raised. The taller country smirks a bit.

"A blank country," 

"Y/n come look!" 

Y/n walks out the front door of the house on to the porch, where she immediately laughs. 

River is waist deep in the snowdrift at the bottom of the porch steps. There's a wide smile on his face. 

Unlike last time, he had winter clothes on, and is able to actually enjoy being out in the cold weather rather than freeze in to death. 

"Also I'm stuck," River says, his smile unwavering. "Can I have help?"

"Let me get my boots," 

Y/n puts her own winter gear on before going back outside. She pulls River up and out of the snow before placing him on the porch. 

"What's that thing over there?" He asks, pointing to a sled sitting off to the side. 

"That's a sled," Y/n explains, already used to his confusion with new objects. "I can show you how it works if you want, they're really fun," 

"Okay!" 

The two of them leave the house with her pulling him on the sled into the forest. After a few minutes of walking, they reach the top of a snowy hill. 

"Is this safe?" River asks as she sits behind him on the sled.

"Of course," Y/n assures him. "Just hold on,"