Mort Rainey #2

Magsimula sa umpisa

Once all the groceries were put away, Mort showed you around his clean cabin. Every single room was cleaned and organized, which was still strange to you. It wasn't like Mort at all. The only thing he ever organized was his writing materials. "Come on up to my writing station, (y/n). I'm still working on my book." Mort said, as he lead you up the stairs, with his arm wrapped around your back, protectively, to prevent you from falling. When you both got to the top, you turned to Mort's writing area. He went over to his desk and sat down on his chair, with his laptop open and a plate filled with two corn on the cobs and a plate with a stick of butter. 'Guess that's the only thing he does eat.' You thought to yourself again.

"Um, Mort, can I ask you a question before I forget?" You asked. "Sure thing, (y/n)." Mort said. "I was wondering why you can't get your own groceries here in town anymore? I ran into Sheriff Newsome and he told me to keep an eye on you and I'm a little confused and concerned about you. Is everything alright?" You asked. "Oh, there's nothing to be concerned about, (y/n). Newsome just told me recently that I can no longer come into town, including to do my own grocery shopping. He said to go up and do my own shopping in New London, which is pretty far." He somewhat explained. You furrowed your eyebrows, in confusion. "Why can't you come into Tashmore Lake anymore?" "Because he's says that I make people uncomfortable. It's been that way ever since Amy and Ted disappeared." He said.

You shook your head, in disbelief, when you didn't expect to hear that last part. "I beg your pardon? Amy and Ted disappeared, out of nowhere? You told me over the phone earlier that the divorce had been finalized a month ago." You said, while crossing your arms. "Yeah, I forgot to tell you that piece because I didn't want you to worry, (y/n). Honestly, I think the town is overreacting and I believe Amy is out there, restarting her new life with Ted." Mort said. "Does that explain why Chico is gone too?" "Yeah. Chico is with Amy and Ted now." Mort said, as he grabbed two corn on the cob holders and started sharpening them.

You watched him sharpen the holders together, which creeped you out a bit, especially after he said the last sentence. This was making you feel more uncomfortable than earlier. You felt like you weren't safe in front of this man that happened to be your older brother. It wasn't the same brother that you've known your whole life. It was like he was somebody else.

Moments later, you looked down at your watch and noticed that it was getting close to five o'clock. "I better head home, Mort. Chris will be home soon and I don't wanna get back home late. Sorry I gotta leave early." You said, feeling a bit anxious to leave. "That's alright, (y/n). I understand. Plus, I got some writing to do anyway." Mort said, nodding in understanding, as he put both holders on each side of the cob. "Mort, if you ever need anything...or you wanna talk about something, please...call me. You worry me sometimes." You said, somewhat timidly.

Mort stood up from his chair and said, "Aw, (y/n). You don't have to worry about me." He walked up to you and wrapped his arms around you again. You, slowly, wrapped your arms around him, barely hugging him. "The only thing you have to worry about is yourself while going through this pregnancy." He said, and, then, he placed a kiss on your temple. "I'll be fine, Mort. I just...want you to be okay." You said, as you pulled away from the hug.

As you were about to turn to go down the stairs, Mort stopped you. "Wait. Before you go, (y/n), you wanna hear what I have so far on my story?" Mort asked, as he sat back down on his chair. You thought about it for a bit until you said, "Alright, Mort." Then, Mort looked at his laptop screen and read, "'I know I can do it.' Todd Downey said, helping himself to another ear of corn from the steaming bowl. 'I'm sure that in time, every bit of her will be gone. And her death will be a mystery, even to me.'" You, all of a sudden, got shivers down your spine, in a bad feeling, after he read that part in his story.

"What do you think, (y/n)?" Mort asked. "It's...It sounds...interesting, I guess." You said, muttering the last two words. "Good. Because the only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story, the ending. And this one...is very good. This one's perfect." He said, giving off even more of a psychotic vibe in his voice. You looked at him, feeling nervous. "I'll, um...see you whenever, Mort." You said. "Alright. Take good care of that baby and tell Chris I said 'hi'. Take care, little sis." Mort said, and, then, he put his headphones on and started sliding a corn on the cob on the stick of butter before writing. You glanced at him one more time before you started walking down the stairs.

As you were walking, slowly, down the stairs, all you kept thinking about was your brother's psychotic vibe, new appearance, his behavior, the disappearance of Amy and Ted, the corn, and the ending of his story. It's like you were trying to fit the puzzle pieces together with everything that you were thinking about. You felt like something was not right and you felt like you should leave immediately. But, then, you stopped at the middle of the stairs as you figured everything out. You looked up where Mort was and stared at him, with fear in your eyes.

Then, you looked down at your abdomen and started rubbing it with your hand, gently. 'No matter what, I promise I'll protect you, my little darling. I'll protect you from anyone, even if he's family, who tries to hurt us.' You spoke to your baby, mentally. After that, you proceeded down the stairs and headed towards the door.