Chapter 75

TW: Anxiety, Mentions of Murder, Mentions of Kidnapping, Polar Bear Cannibalism, Remus, Deceit, Abuse, Threats, Forcing someone to eat, Vomit, Attempts at Manipulation, Not allowing someone to ground themselves (?).

Day One | Friday | August 19th

Virgil groaned as he felt something dig into his side. He pulled the fidget toy out of his pocket and cursed the makers of the cheap item for making it so painful. He turned over in the bed, about to put the fidget toy on the nightstand where he was sure his phone would be resting when he came to a very big realization.

This was his old room

Virgil quickly sat up, grabbing at his head when the room began to spin. He looked around him, the poster of dogs that he had grown used to waking up to had been replaced with those of bands, horror movies, and his one Tim Burton poster. Roman's large collection of Disney memorabilia and items he had collected from his past shows were gone, the only other Disney item besides his poster was a stuffed plushie of Stitch. Logan's boxes of books were gone, nothing there to take their place. He could hear the TV droning from the living room.

He was back at the house.

He looked out the window above the bed, for once hoping to find the three-story drop. Instead, he found two-inch-thick black bars covering the windows. It was the kind people would get to keep burglars out of the house but would work just as well keeping him in.

Virgil scrambled out of the bed, losing his balance and falling to the floor with a thump.

The TV stopped and Virgil groaned as he looked around the room for something he could use to defend himself with. But instead, the discovery that everything and anything that could be used to hurt someone with had been taken out of the room. The scissors that used to sit in a jar on his desk were missing. As was the mechanical pencil sharpener he normally kept by his water bottle. All his once perfectly sharpened pencils were now dull as they sat in their proper spot. Even his lamp, which had always gotten way to hot way too quickly, was gone and had been replaced with a ring of dust where it used to sit.

'What the hell did they do?'  He asked himself as he rose to his feet. His eyes landed on his phone as it sat on his dresser. He picked it up and tried to turn it on, but it vibrated in his hand and stayed dark. It was dead, great, that was just great. And he seriously doubted anybody was gonna hand him a charger or let them borrow their phone anytime soon. He could feel his hands start to shake, his breath lost its natural rhythm and he forced his eyes shut. He took the fidget toy again as he forced himself to calm down.

Now is not the time to have an anxiety attack. He could have an anxiety attack later. He could have as many anxiety attacks as he wanted to have later. But right now he needed to find the others, he needed to make a plan and to do that he needed to get out of this room, meaning he needed to see Remus and Deceit again.

He sighed quietly, so many memories jumped around in his head. The day they had come to get his box of stuff which didn't end up useful as they all hoped was one of many. How many anxiety attacks had he had in this room? How many nightmares? How many arguments had ended with him slamming that door? Probably too many. He had happy memories in here too, though now most of them were linked to sad ones. He, Wren, and Pan playing board games on the ground. Hours spent hunched over his desk as he worked on a drawing. Even one with Remy where both of them had been so sleep-deprived that they had built a pillow fort and refused to come out until Remus quite literally ran through the door and hit his head so hard Remy had to drive him to the hospital.

But the one memory that seemed to be the most vivid was one of the last ones he'd experienced in this house. Deceit's angry and cold words echoed in his head in a terrible symphony that made his heart rate speed up all on its own. The memory was burned into his head in a way that had him seething as if in actual pain. The words had hurt so much that night, and pushed him to do something he never would have considered under other, calmer, circumstances. Looking back on it Virgil didn't know why those sill stupid little words had been his breaking point. Deceit and Remus had both done and said worse to him before that night, why had those words seen the ones that sent him over the edge and had him running into the arms of freedom so openly?