Chapter 2

TW: Anxious thoughts (Not a panic or anxiety attack)

Virgil's heart jumped when one of the hero's grabbed him by his hood. He choked when he was yanked backward, the cloth of his black costume pulling against his neck. The hero quickly dropped Virgil's hood and grabbed held him by his wrist instead. "Who are you!" the hero yelled.

Virgil's heartbeat quickened, he couldn't get caught. Deceit would be furious with him if he got caught. "Let me go, now!" Virgil demanded, trying to pull the heroes' fingers off him. But the hero was stronger than he was, and instead of letting him go he just grabbed his other wrist.  

"I would never let a villain go free. Now I demand you tell us your name." Behind him two more heroes appeared, both of them wore masks just like the first did. One of them held onto another, it took Virgil only a second to realize that it was his fault one of them needed to lean on another. He shouldn't have used his shadows like that, he hated hurting others. He fought the urge to apologize.

 "If you don't reveal your identity, then we will do it for you," the last hero said. His hero name was Professor T, Virgil knew. 

Virgil forced his breathing to stay even "Let me go or else!" Virgil threatened, surprised that his voice hadn't broken. The hero in dark blue raised his hand and Virgil's mask flew off. He tried to grab it but the Royal Element in red had too tight a grip on him still. Virgil's eyes widened. This couldn't be happening. Please don't let this be real. The hero in red stared at him and his grip loosened Virgil yanked his hand away and pulled his hood as far down as it would go. Without thinking about the consequences Virgil made Royal Element's shadow move and attack the hero. Virgil took several steps back, his breathing growing heavy. The red hero looked back up at him and Virgil forced the shadows from the alleyway to trap the heroes. 

He didn't hurt them though. He knew that he could have. He knew that if Deceit ever found out he would be in trouble. But he couldn't bring himself to do it, and instead, he ran. As soon as he had found a good hiding place Virgil dropped the shadows and watched the heroes below him.

*****

"Where'd he go?" Patton asked, but he got no answer from either of his friends. Logan picked the villain's mask off from the floor. He had dropped it when the shadows had surrounded him. The mask was shiny and black, and someone had taken a purple sharpie and drawn lines on it. Unlike their masks, this one was made to cover the person's full face and not just their eyes. It was the first time any of them had gotten that close to Deceit's sidekick, and they knew very little about him. 

They knew that he went by Shadow Master. They knew that he had been helping Deceit for a little over five years now. And they knew he was able to manipulate shadows. Everything else was a mystery to them. They didn't even know the full extent of his powers. Logan particularly wanted to know how the villain was able to make his shadows hurt others.

"Roman?" Patton asked, drawing Logan to look up. "Is everything okay?"

There was silence from the red hero for a moment, which was very uncommon coming from him "I saw his face" Roman finally said

"What did he look like?" Logan asked, if Roman had seen any distinguishing features that might be easier to catch him.

'Pretty face'  Roman thought, he looked at the ground where the villain had stood earlier "He's younger than we thought. Probably around our age. Deceits older, definitely" he told them instead.

"That... might be useful. Anything else?" Logan asked.

Roman shook his head, lying, and turned back to his friends "We should get Patton back home. We still don't know what effects those shadows have"