Chapter 49

TW: Bullying, Mention of Cancer, Chemo, Extra-long Chapter

Day Eighty-Two | Monday | May 30th

"Explore, E-x-p-l-o-r-e, Explore." Izzy said before looking at Logan who nodded with a smile.

"That's very good Izzy, what about the word fascinating?"

"F-a-s-i-n-a-t-e-i-n-g. Can we draw now?"Izzy asked

Logan shook his head, "Not until we finish your vocabulary list Izzy, also that was incorrect"

Izzy sighed and spread herself across the wooden table, her school pencils rolling across the table. Logan snapped under the table and the pencils stopped, "But he's  drawing" Izzy pointed to Virgil, who had come with Logan to the library and was sitting at the end of the table. He was looking down at his sketchbook, his hand moving back and forth. Logan watched Virgil bounce his leg up and down like he had the first day he woke up. He was anxious, more than normal, he wore his headset and was listening to music.

"Izzy, Virgil, is an adult and no longer in school. He can draw if he wants to" Logan explained  "You however are not leaving school anytime soon, and you have been doing  well in school, yet your scores have gone down recently due to lack of focus and participation. Would this have anything to do with the bullies?"

"No, Mrs. Jay is just boring. Fascinating. F-a-c-e-"

"Incorrect." Logan said, "Izzy, do you feel safe at school?" Izzy didn't reply as she began organizing her pencils in front of her. "Does Adam feel safe? Has anybody else tried to hurt you or Adam? Have they said anything? Have-

"Logan stop it!" Izzy yelled, her small voice attracting the attention of several others including Virgil. "Fascinating. F-a-s... F-a-s... F-a-s... I can't. I can't spell Fascinating"

Logan's gaze softened, he was about to speak up when his phone rang, he looked at and upon seeing Patton's name answered it. He turned to Virgil before putting it to his ear, "Virgil, keep an eye on Izzy please. If you need help her father is at the computer lab."

 "oh-kay?" he said though it was more of a question than an agreement. Virgil looked at Izzy, who looked back at him, and only one thing went through his mind, 'What the hell am I supposed to do with a kid?'

"What are you drawing?" Izzy asked him, Virgil looked at around as if searching for someone else the girl could have been talking to before looking back at her. She giggled at this.

Virgil used his pencil to point to boy about Izzy's age wearing a bulky red headset and reading a book. "You see that little boy over there? I'm drawing him"

"Why?" Izzy asked

"Because he was easier to draw than the girl by the Judy Bloom books." Virgil answered

Izzy moved to the seat next to Virgil, struggling a little to climb up on the tall chair but didn't hint at Virgil for any help, "Do you draw anything fun?"

"What do you mean?"

"People are boring. And people are mean. That's why I draw dragons, and animals. See?" Izzy dragged her backpack closer to the two before pulling out a few papers, "This monkey is drinking coconut water. I named him Fred"

"Fred seems nice." Virgil said, nodding his head slightly. He looked at Izzy carefully, "So, you think people are mean huh?"

"Yeah." Izzy replied, pulling out another loose page and beginning on her latest drawing.

"Yeah? Me too. People can really-" he stopped after he remembered that the girl in front of him was five "People are farts" he decided

Izzy grinned, "Yeah! People are farts." She scribbled on her paper, "Can kids be farts too?"