Chapter 41

TW: Anxiety, Mentions of Death, Mentions of murder, Deceit, Remus, Virgil makes a Raccoon pass out, Mentions of previous injuries, (I'm just trying to be really careful with this one)

Day Sixty | Saturday | May 8th

Virgil stared down at his injured hand as he sat on the armchair. Patton had offered to heal him but Virgil knew he still wasn't feeling well, and had told him it was fine. "Here you go Virgil" Roman said as he handed Virgil a glass of water "you got it?" he asked when he noticed Virgil's hand shaking.

Virgil nodded, "Just anxious" he whispered. 

"It's okay Kiddo," Patton said, he reached a hand towards Virgil but he flinched away and shook his head. Patton frowned slightly as he took his hand back and let it rest next to him, Virgil hadn't let anyone touch him since Roman had bandaged his hand yesterday, the heroes were concerned. They hadn't been completely aware of what was happening when Remus had used their powers on them, and didn't know how to help Virgil so they had just tried their best to give him some space.

Virgil hadn't slept the night before, he hadn't been able to, and had spent most of the night tossing and turning in the bed. When he eventually gave up on trying to sleep he just ended up staring out the window and trying not to have an anxiety attack. Deceit and Remus had been texting him non-stop and Roman had taken his phone, not because he didn't trust Virgil but because every time the phone had rang Virgil jumped and pulled at the bandage on his hand.

"Virgil? Are you alright?" Logan asked, Virgil nodded again, "Do you feel comfortable talking to us about yesterdays events?"

Virgil nodded again, "Y-yeah, how can I he-lp?"

"Well, maybe you can tell us why you smashed a jam jar on your hand? You weren't very clear on that yesterday." Roman suggested 

Virgil looked at his hand again, "Okay, um, I don't know why but if I get hurt when trapped in Deceit's illusions than it ends them, and sometimes it makes him pass out, kinda like it did yesterday."

"Wasn't there another way to get out of the illusion?" Patton asked

Virgil shook his head, "If there is than I don't know about it. It's not a big deal"

"Virgil," Roman began, "You really hurt your hand, that's a big deal" 

Virgil lifted his hurt hand, "This is not the worst injury I've ever had. The first time I got hurt during an illusion I burned my hand on the stove and-"

"Virgil, this is not helping the situation" Logan said interrupting, "How long have you known this?"

"Few years, this is the first time I ever did it on purpose though." Virgil looked back down at his hands, "It hurts him and it would just make him more mad. So if it ever happened it was on accident."

The others nodded slowly, "Alright, well what about everything Deceit and Remus said?" Patton asked, "They kept mentioning they were family, is that true?"

Virgil flinched at the words, "Only by law."

"Whats that mean?" Roman asked

"Th-they adopted me." Virgil announced, "When I was twelve, or- or technically th-thirteen... I- I have to tell you now don't I? Tell you all of it?" He looked up at the others, his hands shaking as he asked. The water rippled in the cup and Roman took it from his hands slowly, carefully leaning down in front of him. 

"It's gonna be fine Virge, no matter what you tell us, it's gonna be okay" Roman said. Virgil nodded, opening his mouth to say something but closed it. 

His shoulders began to shake with the rest of his body, "It's not like your story."

"It doesn't have to be." Roman said softly, he looked down at Virgil's hands he was clenching his fists again "Hey, you can't do that, you're going to start bleeding again" Roman reached out and took Virgil's hand like he normally did when Virgil clenched his fists