Chapter 70

Tw: Mentions of homophobia, Mentions of Roman's past.

Day One-Hundred and Fifty-Two | Monday | August 8th

Everyone was quiet as Patton finished telling him about his past. It definitely still upset him, Patton stopped multiple times and never let go of Logan's hand. He didn't look anyone in the eye, in fact, he pretty much always kept them locked on the melting ice cream in front of him. When he was finished he leaned into Logan and tried to almost hide. Virgil felt bad and made sure Patton knew he didn't think any less of him because of his past. He never thought less of any of them after they revealed those parts of their lives that had been hardest for them to overcome and that they tried to avoid talking about.

When it came to homophobic family members, Virgil counted himself as lucky. Remus and Deceit obviously weren't homophobic considering they were dating each other. And when it came to his biological family, Virgil was blissfully ignorant. He had been so young when his parents died, romantic partners had been the last thing on his mind. He was still at that age where he thought kissing was gross and laughed and faked gagged when his parents, or anybody really, kissed in front of him. Virgil's family had never been religious and his parents never really talked about the LGBTQ+ community, at least not enough for Virgil to know what their opinions on it were. He never told his aunts or uncles he was gay when they communicated via letters, he liked being able to at least pretend that his parents were accepting people. The idea that his aunts and uncles weren't would only make him fear they weren't either. So, in a way, that was one of the positive parts of his parents being dead. With them dead, Virgil could fill in the blanks as he saw fit. With them dead, he would never be disappointed in what they thought about who he chose to date. And as sad as that was, he didn't care. 

*****

Virgil and Patton were exhausted. That much was obvious when both of them fell asleep during the movie they had watched. Patton's head had fallen into Logan's lap, still holding his boyfriend's hand as he did. His exhaustion was emotional, he had spent so much time crying that day and Virgil had warned them that he had struggled through a panic attack while his parents were there. Virgil had fallen asleep on the ground, his head resting on his knees while his arms hugged them close to his chest. He was more physically exhausted than anything else, his body was still recovering from yesterday's allergic reaction and nightmares had plagued most of the sleep he had gotten throughout the day. Even the short use of his powers had taken a toll on him.

Roman and Logan finished the movie without them, talking back and forth about the plot quietly as they did. They both wanted to talk about what happened today, but they also knew Patton probably wouldn't appreciate them talking about it without him. When the movie ended Roman took the disk out while Logan slipped out from under Patton and took care of the food they had eaten for dinner. Virgil had barely touched any of it but nobody gave him as much grief about it as they normally did. They had already been told that a lot of people felt too sick to eat a lot after allergic reactions. It probably didn't help to know that the last real meal he had eaten had tried to kill him. So the three others asked him to eat some but when Virgil stopped nobody pushed him to eat more. 

Once he was finished cleaning they tried to wake up Patton. Patton woke up and smiled at Logan tiredly, "Hey Lolo" he said as he rubbed at his eyes, "Did you finish the movie"

Logan nodded, "Yes, it would have been nicer if Roman wasn't trying to communicate for the two main characters to kiss throughout it all but it was still nice."

Roman rolled his eyes as he put the DVD back in its case and sorted it into the bookcase with the other DVDs. It was surprising how many they owned considering that nowadays you could get most movies online. "They belonged together!" he said to Logan, Patton giggled at the response