Chapter 65

Day One-Hundred and Forty-Four | Sunday | July 31st | Harry Potters B-day

Roman grabbed Patton, pulling him back quickly, before putting up a force-field. He stumbled backward, the transparent wall flickering for a second before he forced himself to focus again "Kiddo, you okay?" Patton asked him.

Roman nodded, "Way too many force-fields," he told Patton.

"Do we need to call Lo? He and Virgil might be able to help." Patton suggested as he made a portal and pulled Roman through so he could drop the force-field. They were hiding a block or two from where Deceit and the Duke were and Patton carefully helped Roman sit down.

"No," Roman said shaking his head, "If they see Virgil they might target him, and we can't lose him."

"Okay, well what about Logan? I can make a portal and get him here right now if that's what we need"

"I don't think that'll work. We may need to sit this one out padre." Roman said. It came as a surprise to Patton, Roman hated leaving crime scenes and attacks before the problem was solved. He was always the last one to give in or give up. Logan and Patton would have to do a lot of convincing, or they'd have to be seriously hurt for Roman to give in. So, when Roman suggested it now Patton only nodded before helping him up. He was about to create a portal when Remus and Deceit suddenly appeared in front of them. 

"Wheres Virgil" Deceit demanded

Roman and Patton glared, the first hero took a step forward pushing his hand forward in an attempt to freeze the villains down, but all he got was a thin trail of ice that spread two feet in front of him before dying out. He was too tired to do anything else. Deceit grinned, "Last warning. Where. Is. Virgil" with each word Deceit took a step forward. 

Patton pushed Roman behind him, a protective arm in front of him. Deceit glanced between the two of them. "Fine," He said, he took another step forward, this time Remus followed. Patton took a breath, letting it out slowly before waving his hand. Suddenly Roman fell into the portal, his eyes widening as he realized what was going on. Patton had made a portal, but it was only big enough for one person at a time. Deceit lunged forward and grabbed onto Patton's wrist.  Roman did something similar and was able to grab onto Patton's ankle just before falling through.

"Patton!" Roman called as a game of tug-of-war began. Roman was hanging, almost uselessly, from the portal, his feet not reaching the ground of the apartment. It all quickly got the attention of Logan and Virgil, who jumped to their feet.

"Roman? What's going on?" Logan asked, trying to pull him down.

"No! Stop!" Roman demanded, his hands beginning to slip from Patton's ankle. He could feet someone tugging at Patton as he tried to keep his feet planted on the ground. "Deceit and Remus cornered us! Patton made a portal but they grabbed him. I got his ankle!"

They couldn't hear anything on the other side of the portal, they couldn't see anything either. That's not how Patton's portals worked. They wouldn't close until they were empty, not until either Patton fell through, Roman let go, or Roman got pulled up too. And Roman wasn't planning on letting go anytime soon. Logan let go of Roman, only because he knew pulling him wouldn't do any good. His powers wouldn't serve any use either, he and Roman were relying on hope. Roman whimpered as his hand slipped again, "Logan I can't hold on!" he yelled as his hands slipped again, he felt someone trying to pull his fingers free, he felt Patton's stance change again.

Then, he felt air.

Not in his hands.

It flew past his hair with a 'whoosh.' Black ropes were reaching through the portal. Roman risked a quick glance back before continuing his fearful and hopeful glance at the portal. The ropes were connecting to Virgil. "Logan, lights," Virgil said.