49. Liar

————————

————————

Y/N POV

After Baekhyun shut the door of the truck, it's like all of my senses were heightened. My vision was dark due to the blanket, everything outside the truck was either mute or muffled and the anxiousness of knowing what is going on or what is being said is killing me.

My breathing is a bit shallow from both the tight space and tension in general. I grip the handle of my gun tight, shutting my eyes and trying to calm my nerves. I listen as hard as I can, trying to drown out the sounds of the waves crashing on the shore and wind whistling just outside the door.

I can hear voices, but nothing is clear. It's quiet and muffled. But as far as I can tell, there are only two people speaking. One of them are definitely louder than the other. More frantic. While the other is barely audible, on the calm side. Probably Lay.

Nobody is moving either, I would feel the truck moving if they were transferring the crates. As nerve-wracking as it is, silence is the best sign right now. No gunshots, no shouting or banging.

I don't know how much time passes. 5? 10? My heart rate has slowed down, but it's still loud, pounding in my ears. I shift slightly, moving my shoulder until I feel the truck shake. My eyes widen and I hold my breath. They're walking in the back. Then the footsteps get heavier. They're moving the crates.

There are more voices now, louder. Closer to me, but still in the same direction. By the sounds of it, everything went well. I don't know if Lay convinced him, but they aren't shooting each other. They're at least civil.

I begin to calm down more, sighing. It's almost done. As the truck stops moving in the back, indicating they're done, I hear them begin talking again. As they're talking, my ears tune into a foreign sound in front of the truck. My head whips around and my heart rate picks up again. Footsteps.

I take a breath then hold it. They said somebody could be coming around to check the truck. This might just be it. The footsteps get closer to the door next to me and I conceal my gun, but keep it ready, pointed toward the door. I listen close, shutting my eyes to try and improve my hearing. The footsteps are very scattered now. They're walking. Then they stop suddenly.

It's completely silent except for the voices coming from the same spot. After a few seconds, the door clicks and I cock the hammer back as quietly as human possible. The door slowly creaks open and I feel my heart come to a stop. They're silent for another moment, all I hear is the heavy breathing coming from their lungs and the pounding of my own heart in my ears.

Without warning, the blanket is yanked off the boxes and a hand is immediately over my mouth before I can scream or react at all.

My eyes shoot wide open. They knew exactly where I am. They aren't even looking at me, they just stuck their hand between the boxes. The hammer of their gun is pulled back as they move the first box, breaking light onto my face. I squint.