17. Riot

———————

———————

I consider just running. Skipping town. I could hot-wire a car and just go without being seen. But what does that do for the others? Hyunsoo and his men will be searching for them and they won't rest. Torture them until they find me.

If it were anyone else, like a stranger, I would probably let it happen. But I've become attached to the boys. I know we haven't spoken in a long time, but now that we're in a life or death situation, I feel obligated to protect the ones who put their lives on the line for me. I've opened up to them, trained with them, lived with them. I'm close to a few of them too. I can't stand the thought of Jin or Taehyung being shot in the back of the head. Executed. Anyone for that matter. They're apart of my life, so I can't just abandon them.

But I won't just hand myself over easily either. If I'm going down, I'm going down fighting. I'm going to die killing Hyunsoo or I'm never going to die, end of story.

I walk back toward the biggest crowd I can find. Where the little girl's body was found. By now, it's totally dark outside. Must be at least 10:00 pm. Streetlights don't seem to be enough by themselves, but headlights and fires create the most light. UV lights are overhead, illuminating the streets in a purple-y glow.

As I approach, my breath catches in my throat. SWAT. They hold up their shields as crowds scream at them, hitting or kicking the barricade. Every now and then, one would shove the crowd back because they get too close. Helicopter blades whirl overhead and sirens ring in the distance.

My hand immediately goes to my hip where my gun is. I pull my shirt over it, covering it best I can. I keep my body tense, ready for anything. I take a deep breath and step into the riled crowd.

Broken glass crunches under my shoes as I slowly weave my way through. I get pushed around slightly and at one point, a man's elbow comes down on my head. I wince and glare at him. He doesn't even look at me.

As I try to go through, I notice people are slowly nudging me over toward the wall. I'm only a few feet away when I notice the SWAT helmet's glare from the red and blue lights in the background. My eyes widen as I get closer and I start moving back, trying to get away from them. Who knows what they got on me? Especially in the past few weeks. I haven't been able to check, but I'm not risking it.

The crowd begins to thin out as I move and I sigh, slowing my pace down a little. This is where the car is. I take my gun out of the holster slowly, keeping it low and as unnoticeable as I can. I approach the SUV where we were shot from. People are too distracted and looking the other way. I raise my gun, cocking the hammer back as I walk toward the car.

I quickly shift, looking into the car, ready to shoot. But nobody is there. I look in the backseat. Folders of paper. As I'm about to turn away, I see something and freeze. Holstering my gun, I reach in and grab the folder. Pictures and pictures of me piled onto each other. All from a distance where I can't see. Pictures of the house. When I go to the store with the others, there is a side shot of me paying.